FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: VIN 6732, painted Delorean for sale in CA.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

VIN 6732, painted Delorean for sale in CA.

My VIN:    1710

I've noticed this company advertises every DeLorean they stock on the Dallas/Fort Worth Craigslist for some reason. Kind of annoying when you're looking for local Texas cars.

If you ditched the spoiler and returned the wheels and license plate surround to OEM finishes, this could be a handsome car. The paint condition and quality are definitely lacking, but I still love a red DeLorean!
    Louie Golden

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I've noticed this company advertises every DeLorean they stock on the Dallas/Fort Worth Craigslist for some reason. Kind of annoying when you're looking for local Texas cars.

If you ditched the spoiler and returned the wheels and license plate surround to OEM finishes, this could be a handsome car. The paint condition and quality are definitely lacking, but I still love a red DeLorean!
    Great looking DMC-12! Does it run and drive? Trouble is with taking off the paint, having paint in the first place means that it probably has damaged that needed covering up.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanDude View Post
    Trouble is with taking off the paint, having paint in the first place means that it probably has damaged that needed covering up.
    Not necessarily. From what I've seen, cars which were painted to hide damage don't typically go as far as painting things like the door jambs and wheels- they usually just get the cheapest, quickest paint job possible. This car has the inside of the door jambs being painted, wheels keyed to match, etc. I'm betting it was painted new by a dealer in an attempt to get it off their lot. The late '81 model year VIN reinforces this, too- that's when the bottom started to fall out regarding demand for these cars, and some dealers turned to paint in an attempt to broaden the car's appeal to a wider audience. The only thing that makes me question this car is the paint quality... it's kinda sloppy and exhibits lots of orange peel. That could be a cheap re-spray of the original dealer paint, though.
    Louie Golden

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Not necessarily. From what I've seen, cars which were painted to hide damage don't typically go as far as painting things like the door jambs and wheels- they usually just get the cheapest, quickest paint job possible. This car has the inside of the door jambs being painted, wheels keyed to match, etc. I'm betting it was painted new by a dealer in an attempt to get it off their lot. The late '81 model year VIN reinforces this, too- that's when the bottom started to fall out regarding demand for these cars, and some dealers turned to paint in an attempt to broaden the car's appeal to a wider audience. The only thing that makes me question this car is the paint quality... it's kinda sloppy and exhibits lots of orange peel. That could be a cheap re-spray of the original dealer paint, though.
    GREAT POINT! I would have never thought of the time they put in with the actual paint. They only want 20k for this DMC-12, worth it??

Quote Originally Posted by DeLoreanDude View Post
    They only want 20k for this DMC-12, worth it??
    There's so much conflicting info regarding the market for these cars right now. All I can say is the frame on this car looks okay from the limited shots I can see, there are some updates/replacements in the engine compartment, the cosmetics are decent... if it runs and drives well and all its systems work, it would seem to be a decent buy.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

It's ten grand less than the other two they have for sale.

I'd say it's worth it, assuming the frame isn't much worse than the photos shown and that it actually runs.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5364

So I actually just bought my D from Dmitri and Roy at Palm Desert Auto. I ended up buying one of the unpainted ones they had in inventory but I was initially interested in this red one because of the price.

Had the car inspected at a nearby shop and they told me it was fine except that it was incredibly sluggish from a start in first gear. I ended up calling Danny at DMC California because nobody could figure out the issue. Danny knew right away it was probably a bad transmission governor, and that the car was starting in third gear instead of first. Quick fix, but without knowing how long it had been running like that I didn't want to take the risk on the tranny.

As a bit of a consolation, Dmitri offered me a deal on the car I ended up buying, which I much preferred anyway as it's a 5-speed and unpainted!

When I went out to Palm Desert to test my car I got to see the red one. Honestly the paint looks pretty sexy except for a large spot on the driver's side rear quarter panel that was touched up with mismatched paint. I also saw the other unpainted car and that one is in kinda bad shape. I got the good one!

My buddy is in CA for a vacation (who is also a DMC owner) and inspected the red car in person. The frame is in good shape and this car could possibly be a diamond in the rough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast