FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Headlight Switch Bulb issue

Headlight Switch Bulb issue

So I was going to place LEDs in headlight and hazard switch to replace the incandescent bulbs. When I went to remove the headlight switch bulb I pushed it in by accident since I couldn't get a good grip on it. It fell out of the back of the switch. Somehow also managed to disconnect the swtich but managed to get it reconnected. (yes i was doing this without removing the switch from the center console)

It appears I damaged the switch since since now there is nothing there to hold the LED bulb in place. It just wants to keep going all the way through the switch like the bulb did.

Is this fixable? I'm guessing I need to pull the switch out and take it apart now which is exactly what i was trying to avoid doing.

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    So I was going to place LEDs in headlight and hazard switch to replace the incandescent bulbs. When I went to remove the headlight switch bulb I pushed it in by accident since I couldn't get a good grip on it. It fell out of the back of the switch. Somehow also managed to disconnect the swtich but managed to get it reconnected. (yes i was doing this without removing the switch from the center console)

It appears I damaged the switch since since now there is nothing there to hold the LED bulb in place. It just wants to keep going all the way through the switch like the bulb did.

Is this fixable? I'm guessing I need to pull the switch out and take it apart now which is exactly what i was trying to avoid doing.
    You need to completely remove the switch from the HVAC panel and on the back of it switch you will see the squeeze terminals that actually hold the socket for the lightbulb in. You probably pushed it into far and popped the light bulb socket out through the wiring harness connector. No big deal and it doesn't sound like you damaged anything. If you need a picture I can send you one since I have a bunch of spare parts the show you what it actually looks like behind the switch.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    You need to completely remove the switch from the HVAC panel and on the back of it switch you will see the squeeze terminals that actually hold the socket for the lightbulb in. You probably pushed it into far and popped the light bulb socket out through the wiring harness connector. No big deal and it doesn't sound like you damaged anything. If you need a picture I can send you one since I have a bunch of spare parts the show you what it actually looks like behind the switch.

Yep would appreciate some pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    Yep would appreciate some pictures!
    Sure no problem and I will send you some within an hour

Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Just sent you the pictures via your Facebook messages

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

Bringing this back from the dead because I need to replace my headlight switch. Do you just pop the switch out toward you with a panel tool?
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    Bringing this back from the dead because I need to replace my headlight switch. Do you just pop the switch out toward you with a panel tool?
    If you are replacing the switch itself, you have to remove it from behind the center console. If it is just the light bulb that you want to replace, you can just pull the cap off of the switch and grab the bulb with needle nose pliers.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Quote Originally Posted by JBaker4981 View Post
    If you are replacing the switch itself, you have to remove it from behind the center console. If it is just the light bulb that you want to replace, you can just pull the cap off of the switch and grab the bulb with needle nose pliers.
    Thanks, unfortunately I have to replace the switch because it’s original and likely melted. So you can’t just take off the hvac panel and pull it out? How do you remove the switch from behind?
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

Quote Originally Posted by aipri View Post
    Thanks, unfortunately I have to replace the switch because it’s original and likely melted. So you can’t just take off the hvac panel and pull it out? How do you remove the switch from behind?
    Removing the center console will give you the best access to the back of the HVAC panel. It will make the job much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by CFI View Post
    Removing the center console will give you the best access to the back of the HVAC panel. It will make the job much easier.
    Ugh. Did that when I installed my stereo. Not thrilled about doing it again but I guess I’ve got no choice. My headlights don’t come on with the switch, but do with the high beam dip on the stalk. So that’s gotta be headlight switch right?
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5