Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Steering Wheel recovering - best options?

  1. #11
    Not a DeLorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rochester, NY

    Posts:    1,851

    My VIN:    01049

    My steering wheel was rather knackered, so I just threw it out, and use a couple of vice grips on the steering shaft instead.
    -Mike
    1981 DeLorean, heads/cams/exhaust, EFI
    1999 Corvette, heads/cam/exhaust, 440 BHP
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

  2. #12
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Crystal Lake IL

    Posts:    5,016

    My VIN:    05429

    Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    My steering wheel was rather knackered, so I just threw it out, and use a couple of vice grips on the steering shaft instead.
    I thought you might have just welded up a chain and made your own.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    dswingle@DeLorean.com

  3. #13
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Surrey, United Kingdom

    Posts:    97

    My VIN:    04708, ex 04463

    Club(s):   (DCH)

    A good trimmer should be able to recover it for you no problem.

    06 steering wheel recover.jpg
    DeLorean Club

    The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Posts:    33

    I got mine done from a local small restoration shop for around $250. Black leather was not quite the right color match though. Still a lot cheaper than going through DMC and a lot better than the original condition. They were able to match the stitching perfectly. I think I am going to get the horn cover and center console armrest recovered to match.

    fullsizeoutput_845c.jpg
    Last edited by nirvanaman; 07-16-2017 at 02:17 PM.

  5. #15
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    6,111

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by nirvanaman View Post
    I got mine done from a local small restoration shop for around $250. Black leather was not quite the right color match though. Still a lot cheaper than going through DMC and a lot better than the original condition. They were able to match the stitching perfectly. I think I am going to get the horn cover and center console armrest recovered to match.

    fullsizeoutput_845c.jpg
    if the color is off you can always try redyiing it. Leatherique (.com) has the colors on file.
    David Teitelbaum

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date:  Sep 2014

    Posts:    33

    Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    if the color is off you can always try redyiing it. Leatherique (.com) has the colors on file.
    Thanks, I'll check it out.

  7. #17
    Member klaus5980's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Germany

    Posts:    50

    My VIN:    #5980

    You can leave the old leather in place and cover the steering wheel with new leather.
    It will look more modern and gets 'more grip' ...

    steering.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •