FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty magazine, (author Jay Leno): DeLorean, Legacy in a Briefcase

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    How did the DMC compare to its contemporaries in terms of power-to-weight ratio? If it remember correctly, the Vette of that era was a bit underpowered as well.
    Regarding power to weight ratio of the DeLorean's 1981 contemporaries, here are the power and weight stats from Motor Trend and Car & Driver:

DeLorean DMC-12- 130hp / 2712lbs = 20.86lbs per hp
    Ferrari Mondial- 205hp / 3500lbs = 17.07lbs per hp
    Ferrari 308- 205hp / 3320lbs = 16.20lbs per hp
    Maserati Merak- 180hp / 3200lbs = 17.78lbs per hp
    Porsche 911SC- 172hp / 2700lbs = 15.70lbs per hp
    Porsche 928- 220hp / 3351lbs = 15.23lbs per hp
    Chevrolet Corvette- 190hp/ 3307lbs = 17.41lbs per hp
    Datsun 280Z Turbo- 180hp / 2960lbs = 16.44lbs per hp

So the 911SC was the lightest (only 12 pounds lighter than the DeLorean!), but the 928 has the most HP and best power to weight ratio despite being the heaviest car. Obviously the DeLorean is one of the very lightest cars of its contemporaries, but it's still the most underpowered by far in regards to power to weight ratios. But that's not the accusation Leno leveled against the car- he said it was heavy, and as you can see, it most definitely is not.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    The heavy misconception I think comes from the lack of power steering....I only drove mine a few miles so far, and while I noticed a definate difference in the steering from my Mustang, I wouldnt say it was heavy at all.
    Tire pressure makes a huge difference in low speed handling in the D. Keep it about 1psi over recommended and it is very light indeed.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hehe..right now my rears are low on pressure...but then she hasnt moved since oct-2015
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

I got back home and read the magazine. I wrote a personal email to Hagerty expressing my displeasure.

I also read the Banshee article that starts on page 54. It was written by a different author and credited JZD with leading a concept/prototype that although was nixed, influenced several GM cars afterwards, including the 1968 Corvette. Good article!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

DeLorean Historian / Administrator Tamir A.'s Avatar

My VIN:    11474

FYI - I spoke to a Hagerty Insider. Apparently Jay Leno doesn't write his articles for Hagerty. This DeLorean piece was written by Larry Webster (Hagerty's VP of content) for Jay Leno. Leno probably read it, and signed off on it, but it didn't originate from him. But he certainly gave it his blessing.

Just thought everyone would appreciate knowing the full story behind this article.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Hagerty published it simply cause it was by jay Leno... Not sure about any responsibility on their part on an article like that as for accuracy or libel...still it does seem like they arent really considering that many Delorean owners do insure through them (I havent yet insured mine).. I could just imagine the backlash of comments had this been an online article...lol.

I would hope that if one of you writers did a good response to this that they would publish it as well.
    Fan of all things DeLorean!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Tamir A. View Post
    FYI - I spoke to a Hagerty Insider. Apparently Jay Leno doesn't write his articles for Hagerty. This DeLorean piece was written by Larry Webster (Hagerty's VP of content) for Jay Leno. Leno probably read it, and signed off on it, but it didn't originate from him. But he certainly gave it his blessing.

Just thought everyone would appreciate knowing the full story behind this article.
    I don't know why but that's even worse. Not because of the content but because I feel like they were dishonest about the source. I mean that article was written in the first person! I know all about ghost writers but for 200 word magazine op eds?

Quote Originally Posted by Tamir A. View Post

Thanks Tamir. I agree that this makes the issue worse that the Editor-In-Chief of Hagerty wrote the article. I forwarded my comments to him and also to McKeel Hagerty, the Executive Publisher. Still, if Leno signed off, then it's his too.

For anyone who wants to write a response, the format of Hagerty's email system is first initial last name at hagerty dot com. I.E. lwebster at hagerty dot com . The generic mailbox is editorhagerty at hagerty dot com

I got an auto reply that Larry is out until 7/28 so I'll see if I get a response.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Interesting DeLorean comment in this Jay Leno's Garage video from a week ago. He didn't say it, but I took it as a positive remark by Jeff Dunham. Start watching at 1:40 for full context leading up to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1rpefqSxng
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

Update: I just got an apologetic response from Larry, and he's asking if my letter can be used in the next issue. I used some information from this thread, and I stated such in my letter.

I will send a PM to the owners' info used. If they all agree, then I can approve the whole letter for publication consideration.
    Dana

Nothing witty here lest it offend

I authorize Michael to write all future posts for me. In first person.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast