FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty magazine, (author Jay Leno): DeLorean, Legacy in a Briefcase

My VIN:    6472

To be fair, I don't see anywhere in the article where he trashes our cars. He may not think as highly of our cars as we do, but so what. Not everyone does. He's entitled to his opinion. In person, he's always seemed very respectful to DeLorean owners and their cars, and that's all that matters. He even drove a car on his show and said a lot of positive things about it. I've heard DeLorean owners say far worse things about their cars than Jay Leno ever did.

My VIN:    10353

It's funny because whenever someone asks me how my Delorean drives I usually tell them it feels heavy. Heavy but smooth.

Didn't Hagerty just release an article about how the Delorean should increase in price over the next 10 yrs?

My VIN:    10644

I also think this article is unfortunate. Of course DeLorean's reputation never recovered because of articles like this. I wish Jay Leno would take a minute to put his emotions aside for 5 minutes and read some facts about the car and the specifics that led to the government putting a briefcase of cocaine on a table in front of John DeLorean and a hidden camera.

You know what IS heavy? Denim shirts.

My VIN:    10162

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    To be fair, I don't see anywhere in the article where he trashes our cars. He may not think as highly of our cars as we do, but so what. Not everyone does. He's entitled to his opinion. In person, he's always seemed very respectful to DeLorean owners and their cars, and that's all that matters. He even drove a car on his show and said a lot of positive things about it. I've heard DeLorean owners say far worse things about their cars than Jay Leno ever did.
    Slightly off topic, but I have heard about this video but have never seen it. Was it on Jay Leno's Garage? Does anybody have any links to it?
    10162, 1982, Grey Interior, Manual, Stage II Engine and Exhaust

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

It's not so much he trashes our cars but dragging JZD's name through the mud based on complete misinformation that anyone can verify with just 5 minutes and a smartphone. In other words there is no excuse for his ignorance of JZD and Leno does not deserve to be some kind of recognized authority on DeLorean history spewing this garbage when he can't even get simple facts straight.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It's not so much he trashes our cars but dragging JZD's name through the mud based on complete misinformation that anyone can verify with just 5 minutes and a smartphone. In other words there is no excuse for his ignorance of JZD and Leno does not deserve to be some kind of recognized authority on DeLorean history spewing this garbage when he can't even get simple facts straight.
    Totally agree, what I find most damaging is that he calls into question the explanation/findings of the court case on the drugs, which further aggravates the misinformation to the reader. It's tough enough to correct all the cocaine myths and be nice about it, but now you'll get someone's retort " Yeah, but Jay Leno doesn't believe it.... blah blah blah"
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10907

Never had much of an opinion one way or the other about Jay Leno but after this I'm firmly in the "not a fan" camp. Side-eyeing Hagerty, too. It may not be legally possible to libel the dead, but it's still a dick move.

My VIN:    6585

As stated, it is the misinformation here in which is the negative aspect. But it's also not the first time he's done this. Like I said, many years ago he also made a negative quip about the DeLorean. Not simply an opinion, but bad information. When being asked about what kinds of cars he buys, and how people contact him, he made a statement about how someone called him up, trying to sell him the "actual" DeLorean car that got busted with all of the cocaine inside. Which obviously, never existed, but he plays into that misinformation bullshit to get attention for himself.

Now break this down and look at what he is actually saying: Leno doesn't like DeLoreans. Which is fine, no one is objecting to his opinion. But he's always taking these swipes at the vehicle, and spreading the misinformation. Stating inaccuracies about how DeLorean was trafficking drugs by a mentioning a car for sale that was used for that purpose. Stating that the vehicle was heavy. Placing the angle onto JZD that he was guilty, and that it was a defense that got him off of the charges instead of the evidence that was presented. Including a DEA agent that testified on JZD's behalf.

But listen to how he presents this misinformation: It's always either a negative angle with information omitted, or especially it's some sort of "other" source separate from himself to avoid liability. But of course he never lets you back him into a corner, and if he does he'll just throw up his arms and say, "Whatever" as he tries to quickly move on. But it's all because he wants to keep up this whole "Nice Guy" image.

I've dealt with a few celebrities over the years in Vegas. One thing I learned was to never interact with them directly. Celebrity image is itself a brand. If you're not likable by the public, then they won't want to watch you, and you can ruin your career. Which is why so many celebrities will be nice to the public, yet let their handlers (agent, entourage, concierge, etc.) be the "bad guys" and have to pass along the negative messages, they take all the heat, but they also complain to hotel managers about you when the celeb isn't happy. All so they can avoid having any sort of negative experience with an individual who can say something bad about them. Which is what Leno here is all about. He wants to keep up this whole "nice guy" image, so he always tries to leave himself a way out so that he can't take the blame for his actions and statements.

Now I'm sure that if you met Leno in person, yeah, he's going to be nice. Because like any troll, the lack of anonymity suddenly puts people on their best behavior. Not to mention he'll want to avoid confrontation. The Quentin Wilson comparison was a perfect one. He too trashed our cars, met with owners and assured him he would give a glowing review the next time around, and then just trashed the hell out of the car while on camera. Again!

Even so, removing my emotion & loyalty to the marque and looking at this as someone who is completely unbiased, I still see misinformation from Leno about the DeLorean car, and the man himself. If Jay Leno can't get that right about the DeLorean, what the hell else has he been wrong about with his show? What other "facts" about the other cars he has had on there can you really trust?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10201

I have mixed feelings about this because I really enjoy Jay Leno's garage because it features such a large variety of vehicles fairly enthusiastically, yet he spreads misinformation about the only classic/exotic car I own. I'd love to meet him and talk about everything in his garage but then talking about my car seems like it'd be terrible.

An another note, I dont understand the point of the article. No new or uncommon information (mostly misinformation), and it's an opinion on something that seems entirely irrelevant. There is just no substance to the article.

My VIN:    1710

I don't know anything about the format of this magazine, but have any owners who insure their DeLoreans through Hagerty considered writing a level-headed editorial response to this article? I doubt it would be published- but stranger things have happened.

As far as the various falsehoods in the article, the one I get the biggest chuckle out of these days is the "heavy" accusation. Not only was the car over 500 pounds lighter than the Corvette, but it was within 50 pounds of the 911 SC, a car which is renowned for being lithe. Not to mention as far as modern vehicles go, the DeLorean is considerably lighter than most subcompacts by hundreds of pounds- even some Mini Coopers weigh over 3,000 pounds to the DeLorean's 2,700.

As far as the cars not breaking new ground, again, that's rubbish. They were the first vehicle to come standard with a catalytic converter, Grumman aerospace developed the door torsion bars using liquid nitrogen, the epoxy frame & stainless steel body have still never been seen in another production car. Meanwhile the company pioneered simultaneous engineering- allowing the car and factory to be designed and built concurrently in about a 2 year period without computers in a war torn area. If you don't think the DeLorean was historically remarkable, you simply don't know history very well.
    Louie Golden

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast