FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hagerty magazine, (author Jay Leno): DeLorean, Legacy in a Briefcase

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    I don't know anything about the format of this magazine, but have any owners who insure their DeLoreans through Hagerty considered writing a level-headed editorial response to this article? I doubt it would be published- but stranger things have happened.

As far as the various falsehoods in the article, the one I get the biggest chuckle out of these days is the "heavy" accusation. Not only was the car over 500 pounds lighter than the Corvette, but it was within 50 pounds of the 911 SC, a car which is renowned for being lithe. Not to mention as far as modern vehicles go, the DeLorean is considerably lighter than most subcompacts by hundreds of pounds- even some Mini Coopers weigh over 3,000 pounds to the DeLorean's 2,700.

As far as the cars not breaking new ground, again, that's rubbish. They were the first vehicle to come standard with a catalytic converter, Grumman aerospace developed the door torsion bars using liquid nitrogen, the epoxy frame & stainless steel body have still never been seen in another production car. Meanwhile the company pioneered simultaneous engineering- allowing the car and factory to be designed and built concurrently in about a 2 year period without computers in a war torn area. If you don't think the DeLorean was historically remarkable, you simply don't know history very well.
    I think with how well written your second and third paragraphs are, we're already much of the way there...

(The editorial response could be submitted on behalf of DMCTalk.org members whom are Hagerty insurance customers even... I insure with Hagerty, but don't get their magazine.)

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

I had to look up the weight of an S3 Esprit and was surprised to see it weighed in at 2350lbs so I wonder if the 15% difference is due to SS vs fiberglass as everything else should be similar
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I had to look up the weight of an S3 Esprit and was surprised to see it weighed in at 2350lbs so I wonder if the 15% difference is due to SS vs fiberglass as everything else should be similar
    I guess the PRV V6 being a larger engine (2.8 vs 2.2L) than Lotus Type 912 I4 would also contribute to the difference. Also isn't the D's frame a bit larger and bulkier since it's a bit larger than the Esprit?
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I think with how well written your second and third paragraphs are, we're already much of the way there...

(The editorial response could be submitted on behalf of DMCTalk.org members whom are Hagerty insurance customers even... I insure with Hagerty, but don't get their magazine.)
    I am insured Hagerty. I'd sign it.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    I am insured Hagerty. I'd sign it.
    Me too. I get the magazine and will check the mail tomorrow for it. Let me know if anyone needs information out of it.

I think Robert (DMCVegas) would do a great job writing the response, or perhaps Michael. I saw a sample of his writing somewhere and I think he's a budding author.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Me too. I get the magazine and will check the mail tomorrow for it. Let me know if anyone needs information out of it.

I think Robert (DMCVegas) would do a great job writing the response, or perhaps Michael. I saw a sample of his writing somewhere and I think he's a budding author.
    That's very kind of you to say. I could pound out a informed and diplomatic response.
    Vegas would be a good choice too and being secretary of a recognized club he might have more clout but they would have to add 20 or 30 pages to next month's issue.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hagerty published it simply cause it was by jay Leno... Not sure about any responsibility on their part on an article like that as for accuracy or libel...still it does seem like they arent really considering that many Delorean owners do insure through them (I havent yet insured mine).. I could just imagine the backlash of comments had this been an online article...lol.

I would hope that if one of you writers did a good response to this that they would publish it as well.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    As far as the various falsehoods in the article, the one I get the biggest chuckle out of these days is the "heavy" accusation. Not only was the car over 500 pounds lighter than the Corvette, but it was within 50 pounds of the 911 SC, a car which is renowned for being lithe...

They were the first vehicle to come standard with a catalytic converter...
    How did the DMC compare to its contemporaries in terms of power-to-weight ratio? If it remember correctly, the Vette of that era was a bit underpowered as well.

Regarding cats... weren't they around since the early '70s?

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

It turns out that we as owners aren't above perpetuating the "heavy" myth ourselves

From an actual owner of a car that "is among the top 1 percent of registered DeLoreans” ;

http://www.southernminn.com/owatonna...b86a99ee9.html

It’s also “incredibly heavy,” he (the owner) added. Due to a fiberglass body with stainless steel molded over, the car “essentially has two bodies.”

Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The heavy misconception I think comes from the lack of power steering....I only drove mine a few miles so far, and while I noticed a definate difference in the steering from my Mustang, I wouldnt say it was heavy at all.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast