FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Idle issues

My VIN:    0686, 11617

Idle issues

I'm having an issue with my idle, every now and then the idle get stuck at 1200-1400 rpm. I found if you press the lever for the idle screw"in" the idle speed drops to normal, I've cleaned and replaced the springs in the throttle spool. It seams that the springs don't have enough force to press the idle switch down. I checked the adjustment for the linkage to the throttle body and seams good, not sure what I can do? Any help will be appreciated.
    Go Stainless or go home

My VIN:    3937

If you like where the lever arm sits at rest (and the butterfly valves that sit internal at that same position), do you think extending out the "post" that makes contact with the idle switch might be all you need?

Or is it that when you press on the lever arm all together, it moves a little more than what the springs will do by themselves? If the whole thing will move a little bit more with some force, then it's probably the springs on that rotating stem that the lever arm and butterfly valves pivot on that got weak.

I had my spring on the lower engine cover get weak from what was likely the heat or rust or age or whatever and the fix was to replace it. There may be a time where the springs in some of the spots on our cars are going to have given up their force to do their job and it might be soon in some cases.

I think the problem spring would be included on this assembly, but I don't know how you go about getting just a replacement spring.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6395-butterfly-assy.aspx

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    03572

Try greasing the springs. That fixed my sticking throttle problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    If you like where the lever arm sits at rest (and the butterfly valves that sit internal at that same position), do you think extending out the "post" that makes contact with the idle switch might be all you need?

Or is it that when you press on the lever arm all together, it moves a little more than what the springs will do by themselves? If the whole thing will move a little bit more with some force, then it's probably the springs on that rotating stem that the lever arm and butterfly valves pivot on that got weak.

I had my spring on the lower engine cover get weak from what was likely the heat or rust or age or whatever and the fix was to replace it. There may be a time where the springs in some of the spots on our cars are going to have given up their force to do their job and it might be soon in some cases.

I think the problem spring would be included on this assembly, but I don't know how you go about getting just a replacement spring.

http://store.delorean.com/p-6395-butterfly-assy.aspx
    I replaced the spring on the throttle spool, not the throttle body. Like you said when I press on the lever, its Like the springs don't have enough to force the screw down against the throttle switch. I can manually press it down, everthing is moving freely.
    Go Stainless or go home

My VIN:    03572

John at Special T was selling a low pressure idle switch to help with this problem. When the engine is running the vacuum tends to hold the throttle plates open and thus need more spring pressure.

My idle ECU runs without the idle switch but most people can fix this problem with adjustments or more spring pressure.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

How would I added more spring pressure? has anyone ever added a spring for this that worked? Like a long spring for a carburetor?
    Go Stainless or go home

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Kenthegreat View Post
    How would I added more spring pressure? has anyone ever added a spring for this that worked? Like a long spring for a carburetor?
    The problem is, often the ends of the quadrant link (the link that goes from the throttle spool to the throttle lever) wear and develop a lot of looseness (play) and do not positively move the throttle spool all the way to idle. Adjust the quadrant link. One end is left handed and one end is right handed so you can adjust it very precisely. Loosen the locking nuts first. You can also lubricate the throttle cable as per the recall instructions.
    David Teitelbaum

let me guess - it's only when the engine is running due to the vacuum ?