Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: US postage costs

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date:  Mar 2014

    Posts:    69

    US postage costs

    Can someone tell me if the US Postal service is trying to clear Americas national debt in the shortest time possible or is it just companies using rediculous postage quotes?. An example is posting 2 DeLorean bell cranks to Western Australia along with some copper washers and a window felt strip. From a reputable DeLorean Retailer. Parts cost is around $85.00 shipping cost quoted at $132.00.
    That's just ripping people off. The parcel would be quite small and not weigh much at all.
    Rant finished.

  2. #2
    Not really banned Michael's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    3,022

    Overseas shipping is absolutely outrageous with USPS. A small 7oz (auto trans filter) is almost 20 bucks to ship internationally (and it can easily go higher but it's still the cheapest way to go). Many years ago I used to piggyback on my employer's account which was much cheaper but these days I'm out in the cold.

    What really will get you is here you have an organization whose property, buildings, vehicles, and staff costs are all subsidized for them and they still have a hard time staying in the black, yet UPS, FedEx, DHL, etc. have to cover all their costs upfront and they are doing just fine.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date:  Mar 2014

    Posts:    69

    Yes I agree, I can get Delorean parts delivered to Australia from the UK for a third the price and DeloreanGO deliver for free on orders over $150 Au. its just a pity they don't stock all the parts I want.
    Postage costs have priced me out of buying parts from America unless i can get a better deal.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mluder's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Happy Valley, OR

    Posts:    1,605

    My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Not so fast... the USPS gets about 1% of its annual budget from the government and most of that contribution goes to health benefits for employees. The cost of postage and stamps completely fund its operations. And while its fees for out of country shipping are higher than UPS or FedEX they are way less expensive inside the US.

    Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire
    #4456


    IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

  5. #5
    DeLorean Club UK arranj's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Norfolk, U.K.

    Posts:    45

    My VIN:    1764

    Club(s):   (DCH)

    Quote Originally Posted by airfireman1 View Post
    and DeloreanGO ...... its just a pity they don't stock all the parts I want.
    We have about 600 items/part numbers (at the moment) that aren't currently listed - the site is an ever-changing work-in-progress. It will get better over the summer as time allows. If there is ever anything you can't find, just press the contact button and email a list and I will list it up, or send an apologetic email saying we don't have it

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Ontario, Canada

    Posts:    3,974

    My VIN:    3937

    Quote Originally Posted by airfireman1 View Post
    Yes I agree, I can get Delorean parts delivered to Australia from the UK for a third the price and DeloreanGO deliver for free on orders over $150 Au. its just a pity they don't stock all the parts I want.
    Postage costs have priced me out of buying parts from America unless i can get a better deal.
    Between that and the exchange rate on the dollar, I'm afraid it's the same getting parts shipped to Canada. +1 on the free shipping with DeLoreanGO on orders over $150 CAD.

    I've also noticed how much better the rates are between States when not shipping out of country. Those "if it fits, it ships" flat rate boxes would be 5x the cost if trying to send it across the border.
    One damn minute Admiral...


  7. #7
    Senior Member Chris 16409's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fresno, CA.

    Posts:    1,106

    My VIN:    16409

    Quote Originally Posted by airfireman1 View Post
    Can someone tell me if the US Postal service is trying to clear Americas national debt in the shortest time possible or is it just companies using rediculous postage quotes?. An example is posting 2 DeLorean bell cranks to Western Australia along with some copper washers and a window felt strip. From a reputable DeLorean Retailer. Parts cost is around $85.00 shipping cost quoted at $132.00.
    That's just ripping people off. The parcel would be quite small and not weigh much at all.
    Rant finished.
    Have you checked with Ed Uding at DMC Europe. His shipping prices are fair. He pretty much has everything. I've been using him lately. I get my order in about 3-4 days all the way from the Netherlands! He really is good with order fulfillment.
    Chris Miles

    For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

  8. #8
    Delorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Northern NJ

    Posts:    6,199

    My VIN:    10757

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Have you checked with Ed Uding at DMC Europe. His shipping prices are fair. He pretty much has everything. I've been using him lately. I get my order in about 3-4 days all the way from the Netherlands! He really is good with order fulfillment.
    Another way to reduce shipping costs is to buy from a vendor that brings in larger quantities and can spread the shipping costs among them resulting in lower costs. Get some prices from PJ Grady, he gets a lot of parts from the UK.
    David Teitelbaum

  9. #9
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    6,959

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    AF - try and get it requoted without the window felt. Any box over 12" seems to get charged an extra fee for "oversize" and the window felt is perhaps in a large box to stop it creasing.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jul 2011

    Location:  Ewa Beach, Hawaii

    Posts:    118

    My VIN:    10309

    I feel your pain. Shipping to Hawaii using anything but USPS flat rate is outrageous. I wanted to order several small parts from DMC Texas, probably a large envelope worth and because they only ship UPS the ground rate for the $53 worth of parts would be $37! Why can't the shipping department also ship USPS, they provide the box and also pickup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •