FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 107000 Fuel Pump/Sender Module Service Bulletin

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    A side note: The new combo-unit works great, but since installing it, I've always had the problem of the fuel pump access panel not fitting back on correctly. Anyone else have that problem? I've tried a few adjustments, but still it doesn't fit right, so I've just been living with it.
    Yes, I filed down both the pump wiring plug and the backside of the cover. It took some doing but now it sits where it should.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    ....assuming you keep everything they way it is (i.e. factory plug) and do not change the connector is the only implication that the inertia switch will not work and the fuel pump will still have power? I thought most modern cars today do not have inertia switches, is that true? If so, what is the big deal with not having one (i.e. not changing the plug or jumping it). Don't want to sound like someone who isn't interested in safety but just curious as to both sides of story. Also, when does the inertia switch engage? Front, side, rear impacts? Rollovers only? Again, just trying to be more educated about them.
    The fuel pump inertia switch is a common safety feature of fuel-injected cars of the era. It opens the ground circuit of the fuel pump in the event of a significant side/front/rear impact or a rollover. That way the fire hazard due to any accidental breach of the pressure-side of the fuel system, even with the ignition still ON, is minimized because the fuel pump can't run.

On more modern cars the same function is achieved by using the impact sensor that triggers the SRS airbags so no need for a dedicated fuel-safety inertia switch. Therefore these cars have the same post-accident fuel-safety shutoff feature as a DeLorean. The fuel pump relay gets disabled when there's an impact signal sent to the airbag system. As you know, the DeLorean is a pre-airbag car.

So it's very important to know that the inertia switch/circuit in good working order, no two ways about it. Thanks for asking.
    Last edited by Rich; 08-05-2017 at 10:54 AM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    My car needed the fix too so I did mine yesterday as well. 3341 is back roaming the streets of Texas.

A side note: The new combo-unit works great, but since installing it, I've always had the problem of the fuel pump access panel not fitting back on correctly. Anyone else have that problem? I've tried a few adjustments, but still it doesn't fit right, so I've just been living with it.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Yes, I filed down both the pump wiring plug and the backside of the cover. It took some doing but now it sits where it should.
    This shouldn't be necessary, if you follow the guidance in the installation guide for proper positioning of the pump itself (rotated so the plugs are towards the back) and strap the logic unit to the filler neck off to the side. Never had any issue with my panel fitting in place properly after the upgrade. And I've had to remove/reinstall it about two dozen times for various issues with this unit... sigh.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    This shouldn't be necessary, if you follow the guidance in the installation guide for proper positioning of the pump itself (rotated so the plugs are towards the back)
    Yes, I did very thoroughly read the directions and spent quite some time trying to degree in the pump and eliminate the interference problem. Doing so in such a manner that the fuel lines were not kinked or restricted in any way was simply not going to happen without modification.

I just chalked it up to variances in the frame, underbody, access panel, fuel tank, etc.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I just chalked it up to variances in the frame, underbody, access panel, fuel tank, etc.
    Yep!
    A lot of cars have problems with that pump interfering with the access panel. Dave said he guessed about 1 in 10, IIRC. Some barely rub, some (like mine) just will not go. I used a heat gun on the panel...

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Yep!
    A lot of cars have problems with that pump interfering with the access panel. Dave said he guessed about 1 in 10, IIRC. Some barely rub, some (like mine) just will not go. I used a heat gun on the panel...
    I'm guessing a lot of it is the positioning of the gas tank in the frame. If the tank sits lower, the pump won't interfere with the panel.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    ... if you follow the guidance in the installation guide for proper positioning of the pump itself (rotated so the plugs are towards the back) and strap the logic unit to the filler neck off to the side. Never had any issue with my panel fitting in place properly after the upgrade. And I've had to remove/reinstall it about two dozen times for various issues with this unit... sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I'm guessing a lot of it is the positioning of the gas tank in the frame. If the tank sits lower, the pump won't interfere with the panel.
    Yes, I did very thoroughly read the directions and spent quite some time trying to degree in the pump and eliminate the interference problem. Doing so in such a manner that the fuel lines were not kinked or restricted in any way was simply not going to happen without modification.

I too was pretty thorough trying to make it fit, taking into account the directions, rotation of the pump, and tying the logic unit to the filler neck. Nothing worked. I have not yet tried anything more drastic, like modifying the unit or the cover, but I may have to.

Thomas

Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    10907

The link to DMCH's website for the bulletin is broken so I'm attaching it here in case anybody else needs it. (One of our guys just bought a car with a 4-year-old fuel pump and he wants to make sure the recall was done before he drives it from out of state.)

DELOREAN-Fuel-Module-Controller-Bulletin.pdf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2