FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rajay (BAE) turbo rebuild stupid question

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Rajay (BAE) turbo rebuild stupid question

I'm in the process of attempting to rebuild the Rajay (BAE) turbo for #2203. I'm to the last screw that I have to remove so that the compressor housing can come off. However. I can't do that because the oil feed line 90 degree fitting is in the way. I cannot remove it because the fitting hits the housing. How do I get around this? Am I overlooking something really simple here?

-Jayce
    Attached Images

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by RamblinDMC View Post
    I'm in the process of attempting to rebuild the Rajay (BAE) turbo for #2203. I'm to the last screw that I have to remove so that the compressor housing can come off. However. I can't do that because the oil feed line 90 degree fitting is in the way. I cannot remove it because the fitting hits the housing. How do I get around this? Am I overlooking something really simple here?

-Jayce
    Hello
    Yes , it is easy, the oil feed line is not one part, but two. That is way there are two places where you can put a wrench on it. If you turn the fitting loose you will find that the 90 degree part can turn free. And that you can take the elbow of. Then you can take the lower part out, using a socket to turn it would be easy.
    Put a large screwdriver inside the 90 degree elbow, so you don't damage the threat against the housing when you undo the top fitting.
    Last edited by Delta DeLorean; 07-21-2017 at 02:23 AM.

Got it, thanks!

Now I'm at the part where I have to remove the compressor nut. Any tips on doing that?

-Jayce

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Bae

Looking good Jayce...

My VIN:    10270

Now I'm at the part where I have to remove the compressor nut. Any tips on doing that?
    Typically they're reverse threaded, so that's an important tidbit

You definitely want to use as perfectly sized wrenches as possible. I would clamp the center section in a vice so you can focus on getting good leverage.

Depending on your personal beliefs regarding assembly balancing -vs- component balancing, you might want to mark orientation so it can be reassembled in the same orientation.

What style carbon seal do these Rajay turbos use? Is it a single encapsulated or a multi-piece seal integrated into the backplate?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

I know next to nothing about different kinds turbochargers. I have never owned a turbo equipped car before. Hopefully, assuming I don't break anything, I'll be changing that soon!
    Once I finish this rebuild, I'll do a write up here on the forum documenting the whole process. There's very little info out there on rebuilding this turbo.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I know next to nothing about different kinds turbochargers. I have never owned a turbo equipped car before. Hopefully, assuming I don't break anything, I'll be changing that soon!
    Once I finish this rebuild, I'll do a write up here on the forum documenting the whole process. There's very little info out there on rebuilding this turbo.
    You really should send it out to be rebuilt. The housings may need work, the impellers may need work, and there is no way you can balance it. This is not just a simple unbolt and bolt on kind of job.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    You really should send it out to be rebuilt. The housings may need work, the impellers may need work, and there is no way you can balance it. This is not just a simple unbolt and bolt on kind of job.
    I didn't want to spend the money to have it rebuilt, and plus this is a learning experience. I'm an engineering student who also works for GM and I'm not afraid of a challenge. It will balanced locally when I'm done rebuilding.

I was told the same kind of thing when I was rebuilding my transmission shift governor-computer. In the end, I fixed it for $7 when everyone else told me to just spend the $300 for a new one from DMC.

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If there's no obvious damage I wouldn't be too concerned about balance.

I didn't want to spend the money to have it rebuilt, and plus this is a learning experience.
    Right on! My own T3 was "professionally rebuilt". I had to re-rebuild it because the professional screwed up the carbon seal installation in a manner that isn't obvious unless you have specific experience in draw-through turbo setups (like the BAE). The "professional" also installed a compressor wheel that was interference fit to the turbine shaft which was a pleasant discovery.

The important question is: Why are you rebuilding it?

An even importanter question: Would you be interested in a set of BAE intake adapters that are set up for improved PCV and water injection?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are doing it for the challenge and the learning experience that's great. And as long as you have planned to have it balanced. If you see no damage to the housings or the impellers you are probably OK but the damage isn't always obvious. I assume you are rebuilding because you see oil on the air output side. Make sure you have the right kit. Because the BAE is a "Pull Through" the turbo is subjected to vacuum as well as positive pressure so you must have the correct kit of parts and they must be installed correctly. In general I do advise not to rebuild the turbo, it often isn't economical because they will charge almost as much just to balance it.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast