FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Removing eyebrows and tightening fascia/fender gap

My VIN:    10644

Removing eyebrows and tightening fascia/fender gap

After owning this car for a couple years and with nearly everything else in perfect condition, I really want to get a nice straight and aligned fascia. I'm pretty clear on how to address the eyebrows, but less sure about how to snug the fascia up against the fenders. I somewhat prefer to work with the fascia on the car (using David Proehl's method). I'm wondering if simply straightening the eyebrows will flex enough material back to the corners of the fascia that it'll naturally snug up against the fenders?

So, if this was your car, how would you take care of the eyebrows and the fender gaps at the same time?

Here are some photos:

IMG_8419.jpgIMG_8416.jpgIMG_8418.jpg

My VIN:    02530

I took my fascia off to do the eyebrows, repaint and flatten the wavy top out. My eyebrows weren't bad but I figured while it was off I would reinforce them. I too have a fender gap issue. I thought by removing it and reinstalling I could get it to snug up but I couldn't. My body shop was able to skim the wavy urethane with filler and block sand it straight. You won't resolve the gap by fixing the eyebrows but I'm also looking for an answer on the gap. Other than drilling some new holes in the fiberglass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You can heat and straighten the eyebrows, then reinforce from behind with 1/8" x 3/4" galvanized steel embedded in urethane adhesive.

It is very difficult to close up the gap because that is caused by shrinkage of the urethane material that the fascia is made of. The urethane fascia shrinks, but the stainless doesn't, so it doesn't fit together any more.You can try loosening the nuts on the mounting studs from behind, pushing it all together and then tightening, but it's close to impossible to stretch the material enough to make it look perfect.

The only real permanent solution is replacement. I have not considered modifying the fiberglass and stainless underneath to get the fascia to fit correctly, but that doesn't seem any more practical than replacing it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10309

I am wondering more about the hood gap being uneven. I have the same problem. The fascia appears to be straight but the hood has a curvature to it. I've noticed on most other cars the gap seems to curve with the hood so it is the same all the way through the fenders. Does anyone know if this is due to different hoods or maybe part of the shrinkage of the fascia. Do you think it could be fixed by adjusting the attachment points under the hood?