FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What is this? Possible Speedometer connection?

My VIN:    6989

What is this? Possible Speedometer connection?

On my way home from a horror convention, just before I got on the highway, I noticed my speedometer wasn't working anymore. Then, I heard a clunk from underneathe the car. I pulled over, popped my head under the front driver side, and saw this hose with a connector. Nothing was leaking from it, so I duct taped it to the frame away from moving parts (which is why you see tape on the hose). Car drove absolutely fine, especially given that it was a hot day.

Anyone know if this is for the speedometer or something completely different? Safe to drive still as long as it's kept out of the way? Thank you!

-Fluxn83
    Attached Images

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

That's the angle drive; which drives the speedometer.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    That's the angle drive; which drives the speedometer.
    I had a feeling. Thank you for clarifying, you are awesome!

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxn83 View Post
    I had a feeling. Thank you for clarifying, you are awesome!
    Yeah, Mike's okay.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    16409

I've never seen an angle drive shear off like that before? I wonder if the little snap rings that hold the angle drive to the nut failed?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Yeah, Mike's okay.
    When I'm not hopped up on ghost peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I've never seen an angle drive shear off like that before? I wonder if the little snap rings that hold the angle drive to the nut failed?
    Yeah, this brings up the concern of the axle nut on that wheel. If that is compromised from this incident, it could potentially cause a really nasty failure. I would suggest not driving the car again until the OP can verify that.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    When I'm not hopped up on ghost peppers.

Yeah, this brings up the concern of the axle nut on that wheel. If that is compromised from this incident, it could potentially cause a really nasty failure. I would suggest not driving the car again until the OP can verify that.
    How can I verify? What do I look for? I was driving for an hour back to the house, and I didn't feel anything wrong.
    Last edited by Fluxn83; 07-24-2017 at 06:27 PM.

My VIN:    3937

Here's three pictures from a number of years ago when I was learning how to get speedos working...

IMG_3661.jpgIMG_3664.jpgIMG_3665.jpg

The picture with the DMCH instructions underneath shows the angle drive complete with the nut attached.

The picture from the rear shows what the angle drive will look like installed with the nut in place and the lower speedo cable attached and running off towards the driver's footwell.

The picture from the front of the wheel shows the other important nut in place and it is here where you would put on the dust cap to drive the cable that goes down the length of the hub and spins the angle drive gears (dust cap not shown).

These two nuts are awfully important to be in place and tight. They kind of pull each other towards themselves when you tighten them. Meaning, if you get the outside one loose, the inside one can be loosened with your fingers, but if the outside one is still tight, you can have a helluva time getting the inside one to budge. They pretty much hold the hub (and wheel) to the car so not having them tight might mean your wheel doesn't stay attached (not good).

Here's another sketch of the parts and what ones you might need (the nuts aren't shown on this though ironically).

DMCH - Speedo components rpm-mph-table.pdf

You should probably put the front of the car up (with a jack at home for starters), take the front left wheel off and then visually inspect those nuts. My guess is that they are both in place and still quite tight but somehow your angle drive tried to start spinning with the wheel instead of being free to "float" in place and got sheared off. That's a lot of shear force if it did that, so I'd be looking at your lower cable closely to see if it got chewed because that might have been what held it up... or part of the suspension like the top of the lower ball joint or maybe even the tie rod end or whatever it is that might be in reach if that angle drive started rotating while in place. It might bang up against the spring perhaps. Have a look at what might have gotten scratched and that'll tell you where it happened.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    16795

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I had this happen recently with a brand new angle drive from DMCH. I installed it, gave the wheel a spin to make sure everything was working, and the angle drive just fell apart.

They sent me a replacement and that one has been fine.

My VIN:    6472

Fyi...

On some cars that hub nut is a 32mm, and on others (like mine) it's a 36mm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast