FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Very Heavy Clutch Pedal

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Very Heavy Clutch Pedal

Hey guys,

My clutch pedal has always been very heavy. I have been through 3 transmission setups (stock, stock with 350z pressure plate, subaru setup) and the clutch pedal is just as heavy as the last.
    To me, this rules out the slave, clutch fork, release bearing - anything on the rear half of the car.

I guess my question is can the clutch master cylinder be causing this? I bought it new from DMC 3 years ago.

The clutch circuit is very well bled.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    10270

I have one of Grady's "hardcore" master cylinders, and it did seem to help a little -vs- the original master.

I don't usually love the nonlinear feel of clutch assist springs but this car could definitely use one.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Kink in the line somewhere?

I never knew rob had his own offering. Interesting.
    It is certainly worth looking for a constriction in the line, ill take a look.

I should also note I have felt the clutch in stock deloreans and they are much much softer than mine, even when it still had the stock transmission and PRV.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    10270

Not sure if these are still available or not. Here's the website around the time I ordered mine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031104...spec.asp?id=21
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Thanks for digging that up!

I also found this, I think Josh is running it in his setups

http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...temno=260-6089

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If the pedal is very heavy it is probably not the clutch hydraulic system. More likely the pressure plate, either too many springs or they are too stiff. Talk to the vendors and get a Centerforce or Valeo pressure plate. They have softer springs and centrifugal weights that increase the clamping pressure at higher RPM's so you have a soft pedal at low RPM's.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If the pedal is very heavy it is probably not the clutch hydraulic system. More likely the pressure plate, either too many springs or they are too stiff. Talk to the vendors and get a Centerforce or Valeo pressure plate. They have softer springs and centrifugal weights that increase the clamping pressure at higher RPM's so you have a soft pedal at low RPM's.
    Dave, if you had actually read his first post, you would have noticed that his problem has been consistent across several different pressure plates and transmissions.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

I just got guru'd

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble David but Centerforce ditched the flyweights well over ten years ago when Valeo changed pressure plate designs. I stopped using them after that because you are paying $200- more for a stock Valeo pressure plate and a disc with "improved" friction material. It can't justify the increased expense. I agree it's probably the pressure plate issue but with an LS1/3 or 7 installed a soft clutch pedal is probably wishful thinking and since everything is different/modified I can't be of much help here. I don't sell that exact "hard core" design anymore but could do a one off with my rebuilder. I switched from boring oversize to brass sleeving but could easily do both at slightly higher cost for the larger stainless piston. I don't think it will help enough with the pedal effort but will last farlonger than the normal replacement part and give better disengagement.
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast