FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rich smell and poor MPG

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Rich smell and poor MPG

Hi all,

So it seems somewhat recently (that I've noticed) that my fuel economy has dropped off to about 16 City with heavy AC use and maybe 19 on highway with AC whereas it used to be 18/23 or so. I notice that the car smells rich on startup and initial idle, frequency valve is buzzing, and my dwell is properly adjusted. The only things I can think of would be:

Plugs/wires....haven't noticed a loss of power, really. Nothing from normal.
    Bad injector
    Valves in need of adjustment

What else? Thanks.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    03572

You said your dwell was correct but was that checked after you found the MPG drop?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    3937

The full throttle fuel enrichment microswitch might be stuck. The little plunger tends to get grimy and then won't pop back out on its own once you let off the pedal. Basically it keeps the engine in this fuel enriched mode the whole time. That same switch could be getting shorted internally too and that would cause the same problems.

Unplug the switch at the Tetris puzzle looking connector and see if you notice a difference. You can leave it unplugged and go for a drive or two to try and get a feel for the new MPG if that's what the problem was. Unplugging it won't cause you any new problems.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    You said your dwell was correct but was that checked after you found the MPG drop?
    Hi Dave. Yes, I checked it after the drop and it checked out OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    The full throttle fuel enrichment microswitch might be stuck. The little plunger tends to get grimy and then won't pop back out on its own once you let off the pedal. Basically it keeps the engine in this fuel enriched mode the whole time. That same switch could be getting shorted internally too and that would cause the same problems.

Unplug the switch at the Tetris puzzle looking connector and see if you notice a difference. You can leave it unplugged and go for a drive or two to try and get a feel for the new MPG if that's what the problem was. Unplugging it won't cause you any new problems.

Thanks. I'll check up on that.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com