FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stumbling/Stalling during Idle

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mattglas View Post
    I did the test and this is what I found. When the key was turned the valve instantly turned all the way to the right (right being towards the center of the engine). Then, it held that position for about 10 seconds and slowly/smoothly went back to the original position.

I also noticed that the inside of the valve was coated with black soot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    the black soot it normal but you can clean it. Was movement fairly smooth. Movement you observed would be Normal, so long as it didn't stutter during the sweep.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    2729

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    the black soot it normal but you can clean it. Was movement fairly smooth. Movement you observed would be Normal, so long as it didn't stutter during the sweep.
    It didnt really stutter, though the movement did get faster towards the end of it's travel.

I also noticed the mine seemingly has a bigger gap than yours. I included a picture just for comparison

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My VIN:    03572

The stock idle ECU does not ever close the valve (idle motor) all the way. When I had the stock ECU it closed a little more than in your photo. But all that means is you have a little less control for holding the 775 RPM on a hot engine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The stock idle ECU does not ever close the valve (idle motor) all the way. When I had the stock ECU it closed a little more than in your photo. But all that means is you have a little less control for holding the 775 RPM on a hot engine.
    Oh, interesting. This bit off topic, but do you still sell your microprocessor controlled idle ECU? I remember seeing it awhile ago and wanting to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattglas View Post
    Oh, interesting. This bit off topic, but do you still sell your microprocessor controlled idle ECU? I remember seeing it awhile ago and wanting to upgrade.
    Yes, I still sell them. My ECU will close the valve completely if needed. That was one of the things I did not like about the stock unit and my car would idle at 1000 RPM when hot. But that turned out to be bad deceleration springs on the butter fly valves.

Here is a video I did when I designed my ECU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YE_HG4ji8E
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 07-30-2017 at 03:24 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes, I still sell them. My ECU will close the valve completely if needed. That was one of the things I did not like about the stock unit and my car would idle at 1000 RPM when hot. But that turned out to be bad deceleration springs on the butter fly valves.

Here is a video I did when I designed my ECU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YE_HG4ji8E
    Sweet, once I get this issue fixed I'll pm you about buying one.

In other news, while testing I noticed that when the cooling fans came on the car would suddenly start to idle hunt. Once the fans stopped the idle hunting stopped. Possible ground issue?

I took the car for a 10 minute drive and when I got back I let it idle to see what wolud happen. After a few minutes it stumbled itself to death and I was greeted with this:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2N...ew?usp=sharing

I'm not sure what to make of it.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

what did the smoke smell like? How much resistance was their when you first pushed down on the air plate? Pushing down that far would dumped fuel into the hot heads and any valve that was open. It could have just been fuel boiling off. or oil residue in the intake from crankcase venting. worst case would be coolant vapor steaming off. It just depends on what smell like as to what it might be.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

With it stumbling to a stop, you probably have miss fires and some of the intake valves are open. So I would think that "smoke" is unburned fuel.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast