FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum and Researching to Buy

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Hill Valley PD View Post
    Still haven't done anything yet other than trolling classifieds and completed eBay/auction listings to get an idea of what I'll be spending....... What do you all budget per year for your D for routine maintenance, provided it's already had refurbishment?
    To keep it in good shape once it's in nice condition you'd be looking at $800-1500/yr. Some folks mention larger budgets.

Check out the owners manual for recommended maintenance to give you some idea. See pp 19-20: DMC Owners Manual
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thank you for all the replies. I happen to be in California right now visiting some family and am tempted to look at a DeLorean out here that I am considering:

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/...564274465.html

Anyone know the car? It’s unusual to see one with some mileage. I do realize it will never be as valuable as a comparable condition “low” mileage car, but I also would not be afraid to drive it either. Thoughts?

My VIN:    Early

Thank you for all the replies. I happen to be in California right now visiting some family and am tempted to look at a DeLorean out here that I am considering:

Anyone know the car? It’s unusual to see one with some mileage. I do realize it will never be as valuable as a comparable condition “low” mileage car, but I also would not be afraid to drive it either. Thoughts?
    From the pictures, the car seems to look ok, but it is priced kinda high for a 117,000 mile car...

I would first see the car in person and verify just how solid it really is. Check the integrity of the doors as well. If you really like it, then haggle with the price.

IMHO, it is priced $5,000-6,000 too high.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 04-18-2018 at 11:18 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6472

Don't know the car, but definitely worth checking out in person if you're in the area. A (relatively) high mileage car that's been driven and maintained isn't a bad thing.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

From the pictures of a pristine car, and descriptions of the regular maintenance and refreshing work done, I don't think the price is too high. 117,000 miles is approximately 3,500 miles per the 33 years. Not exactly high mileage.

Looks good.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 04-19-2018 at 06:34 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3937

What's the additional, small, plastic reservoir in the engine bay for? Mounted right about where the engine bay light fixture is. Is the coolant reservoir overflow hose routed into it?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

This car was on eBay last year and is now. I don’t know what the bids got to though. He said the buyer backed out. If it is as nice as it appears, I don’t think the price is too crazy given what’s some have been going for lately. He seemed pretty firm on the price when I talked to him, but I’m not into negotiating on the phone for something yet to be seen in person. I’d say maybe 27-28 is lowest as I’m sure I can find things to point out for negotiation like the tach not working etc. It’ll probably cost me a grand to ship it back as well. I know I can spend about 10g more and get one with way less miles, so I’m still thinking. I could probably keep my Mustang with this one but would sell it if I went all in and bought one from DMC as I could not justify 80k in two cars that get driven less than 1k a year. I also have to get my wife on board, which is another challenge since she likes the Mustang.

Wife still not on board, so no go on this one. Besides, the more I think about it will be better to go all in and buy through DMC Midwest or on the forum after I actually sell my Mustang. This way I’ll have more money to spend and will not settle on something. I appreciate all the opinions and advice. When I’m really ready to go, I’ll let you all know. It’s a long process, but I don’t want to jump into something and regret it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    What's the additional, small, plastic reservoir in the engine bay for? Mounted right about where the engine bay light fixture is. Is the coolant reservoir overflow hose routed into it?
    It might be a replacement washer fluid bottle. Likely the original cracked and they couldn't find a replacement or they spun all the nutserts trying to get the washer tub off.

But, who knows. Maybe they added an overflow tank for the coolant system to make it similar to a modern car.

Ron

Well, I have decided to offer my Mustang to a classic car dealer/museum to see what they will give me for it. If I get a nice offer, it looks like I'll be ready to make a DeLorean purchase sooner than later. Thanks for everyone's helpful advice and patience as this is a big decision I do not take lightly.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Hill Valley PD; 04-29-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast