FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Alternator Light

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Alternator Light

While browsing the forum for answers to another question, I came across a thread discussing the alternator light in the dash, and how the alternator will not charge the battery if the light doesn't work. This prompted me to check my own alternator light. Sure enough, the light did not illuminate in the key ON position or after engine start.

I've owned my car for three years now, runs great and everything, but the alternator light never crossed my mind until recently when I FINALLY got my AC work done, and running the AC would overload and kill my engine (or kill the ECU which in turn kill my engine). This lead me to believe that the alternator isn't putting out enough juice.

I removed the dash binnacle and inspected the circuit board and found that somebody once tried to use pliers to remove the alternator light bulb and broke the contact between the bulb and the circuit board. I repaired the board and swapped bulbs with the door ajar and now the light works, HOWEVER, it only illuminates with the engine running, and NOT in the key ON position. And when I rev the engine, the light illuminates brighter.

Does this sound indicative to a bad alternator? And wouldn't my battery be completely drained at this point?

Thanks
    Last edited by bytes311; 07-27-2017 at 12:28 PM.

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Your car originally was equipped with a Ducellier alternator. Is that what you still have. If so replace it as it is a terrible alternator. If your dash repair was successful then the alternator is probably bad as the light would indicate.
    Rob

I'm going to check my alternator indication. It occurred to me that the alternator indicator could potentially give warning of a belt failure that, in turn, provides a early warning of a coolant failure. I'm new, so I guess everyone already knows this, but it seems prudent to check and see if the alternator fail is working.

Ron

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Many stores like Auto Zone will test your alternator and battery for free.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD001815

If your alt is not putting out enough juice (as the original won't) go ahead and upgrade to a 100 or above amp... Not that expensive and worth not having other issues (like a/c stalling the engine) occur to give you headaches... ;-)

Thanks guys. Yeah, my car does have the original Ducellier. I'll go ahead and get that replaced. Is there a market for the Ducellier, or should I just dispose/recycle it?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    Thanks guys. Yeah, my car does have the original Ducellier. I'll go ahead and get that replaced. Is there a market for the Ducellier, or should I just dispose/recycle it?
    If you still have the original Ducey, you should replace it. They didn't have enough output and seem to have a 100% failure rate. Make sure you connect the new alternator correctly, they are not all exactly "plug and play". Follow installation directions carefully. Make sure the belt is lined up and not running crooked too. Have the battery tested and if it isn't good or it is over 5 years old replace it. If the belt has a lot of cracks in it and looks old it should probably be replaced also. One of the "while you are there" kind of things, if you still have the original muffler bracket by the alternator, it should be replaced, they crack. If you are replacing the belt, replace both of them and the 2 idler pulley bearings and the cam cover "O" ring. AFAIK there is no demand for the old Ducey.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks David.

By the way, this green wire was just hanging off the alternator and not grounded to anything!?

20170728_183855.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    since you still have the ducellier you should consider this alternator, which is plug and play with the original connector https://www.deloreango.com/it/delorean-alternator.html
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    I'm going to check my alternator indication. It occurred to me that the alternator indicator could potentially give warning of a belt failure that, in turn, provides a early warning of a coolant failure. I'm new, so I guess everyone already knows this, but it seems prudent to check and see if the alternator fail is working.

Ron
    Yes, a sudden BATT LIGHT illumination while driving usually means you've lost the alt/water pump belt and you should pullover immediately to verify.

If the the BATT LIGHT starts to flicker on/off and you see volt fluctuations on the gauge, this is typically a sign that you alternator brushes are worn out but the belt is still in place. ( I've had this experience on a Daily Driver) lots of warning that the alternator was dying before it actually did).

There are exceptions, but I am speaking in terms of an otherwise Healthy Charging system. (Good grounding and good wiring connections)
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.