FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PLASTIC windshield rearview mirror button?

My VIN:    05927

PLASTIC windshield rearview mirror button?

Hi All,

While it's well known that gluing a metal rear view mirror mounting button to the windshield puts you at risk for cracking... what about the plastic buttons? Has anyone ever tried those? I imagine there wouldn't be much of an issue with heat/cold and the plastic.

These come with a silicone-based glue, but the acrylic glue can also be used. I have been using a plastic button mounted with urethane windshield adhesive, but every few years the the button falls off. the 3M tape holds for a short time, but there just isn't enough surface are on the button for it to effectively grab. Would love a more permanent solution...

I have a temp/compass/Homelink mirror installed that I really like, which is why I don't use a standard DMC mirror.

Any thoughts?

CIP-49088.jpg

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

No experience with that solution.

You are saying there is a known lifetime issue with this standard/approved "3M Tape" part?
    LINK: DMC int. rearview mirror mount pad

You need something stronger for your aftermarket multifunction mirror, it seems? The regular mount pad just hasn't got the staying power for that?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You are saying there is a known lifetime issue with this standard/approved "3M Tape" part? You need something stronger for your aftermarket multifunction mirror, it seems? The regular mount pad just hasn't got the staying power for that?
    No issue with the 3M tape in general. I was referring to the rule of DMC + Metal Button + Glue = cracked windshield.

My mirror is larger and a bit heavier than the stock one. It seems to put too much torque on the little metal button with the 3m tape, and the 3M tape also doesn't seem to stick as well to the plastic one with the larger base.

The urethane adhesive held fairly well, but the mirror did vibrate a great deal.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

If the new mirror is a bigger load id go with making a mount that is attached to the car's roof instead of the glass. Something hidden under the headliner.

I made an adapter out of acrylic and bonded a plastic button to it with glue. I'll use 3M VHB on the back, which should give more than enough surface area for bonding to the windshield, as well as spreading out any load on the glass.

When it comes down to it, the new mirror really isn't substantially heavier/larger than the mirror on most cars, and just slightly more on the DeLorean.

Img_1946a.jpg

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    If the new mirror is a bigger load id go with making a mount that is attached to the car's roof instead of the glass. Something hidden under the headliner.
    I've tried this method and the #1 challenge is that the attachment point for the mirror is several inches forward of mounting locations found under the headliner. So the mirror essentially sits at the end of an arm (I custom built one) - which unfortunately amplifies any vibration (and even a tiny amount of vibration was distracting).
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    I've tried this method and the #1 challenge is that the attachment point for the mirror is several inches forward of mounting locations found under the headliner. So the mirror essentially sits at the end of an arm (I custom built one) - which unfortunately amplifies any vibration (and even a tiny amount of vibration was distracting).
    I did look at this route. There are some Mercedes mirrors that mount that way, but none with Homelink/etc. It still puts the mirror too far towards the rear of the vehicle unfortunately.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Ahh where are the (shades?) that Doc had? wouldnt need to have a mirror on the window at all.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I glued my rearview mirror directly to the glass using the glue for installing the rear view mirror kit with no tab at all and it's been like that now for almost 10 years

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I am using the mounting pad that came already installed on my replacement windshield and I can't get my cracked rearview mirror off to change it out with a new one!
    -----Dan B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast