FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Receiver Dryer O-ring & Orifice Question

My VIN:    4665

Receiver Dryer O-ring & Orifice Question

I'm putting in a new compressor and new AC accumulator, along with replacing every hose. The old accumulator came off with a little persuasion (no rusted fittings, but King Kong must have wrenched those fittings on!!!) However, I noticed that neither evaporator fitting had an o-ring installed. The evaporator was replaced by the PO back in 2011/2012. Should there be an O-ring on both evaporator connections when I reinstall?

Also, this would be the time to install a VOV orifice if that made sense. Wanted to poll the community on whether adding another $30 part to the system is worth it.

Thanks
    Steve

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

All of the connections use O-rings.

You will get both positive and negative reviews here of the VOV. I installed one and I have no problems with it. Others have installed it and had issues. Be sure, if you do get one, that you install it the correct direction.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    03572

If the pipe that the VOV fits in has a bend, the VOV valve will jam. That's what happened on mine. Standard orifice worked fine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you are thinking of installing a VoV be aware that the original orifice is in the tube right where it is bent. It was probably installed BEFORE the tube was bent so it is very difficult to remove it without damaging the very thin, soft aluminum tubing. Damage the tubing and you are replacing the evap coil. Fun job, you have to basically take the whole dash out to do it. If the interior of the system looks clean and shiny, my advice is to leave the orifice tube alone. If the accumulator was installed and you did not find any "O" rings at the joints, now you know why it didn't hold any pressure. Trying to tighten the fittings to stop a leak won't work with these type fittings. The threaded fasteners only hold the joint together, the "O" rings are what makes the joints leaktight. That's why, when you see a joint overtightened, you know there was a problem and they tried to fix it by tightening it a little bit more. Not the way to fix it. You take it apart and see why the "O" ring isn't sealing the joint. Maybe it is the wrong "O" ring, maybe it got pinched and is out of the groove, maybe you forgot it, etc. As you work on the A/C you may find other things done wrong and have to make it right. Once you see one mistake you have to assume there are others.
    David Teitelbaum

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

The stock AC/Heating system originally provided by Harrison Radiator is a very stout system and has had great performance since day one. I'd recommend keeping that system as stock as possible, including the orifice tube.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    4665

Thanks guys for the advice. I'll stick with the known. I really don't want to take this apart again.

Alex, I followed your journey down this similar path with your past postings. Thanks for taking the time to fully document it.