FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bloody gas flap hood

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

Bloody gas flap hood

I live near a 5 km bridge which I had to cross both ways yesterday. Since the fuel gauge is not that accurate I thought I fuel up before I go. At the fuel station I open the gas flap end when I turn the fuel cap I cut my index finger on the bottom edge of the gas flap. And it was a very deep cut. Blood was running out, the only thing I could think of was a shop rag that I have laying under the handbrake. Quick put some fuel in the tank and see the rag turning red. Good thing the weather was not so great and nobody came over to talk about the car! Drove to my mom and got some bandage for my finger...
    The top part of the gas flap where you lift it to open has some protection plastic around it. There is nothing on the bottom edge. Going to make something myself.
    So fellow gas flap hood owners, be safe out there and be aware! Have had the car for a year and a half now and had no problems before with fueling.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Ouch! Sorry that happened to you. I have done that on different panels and it's not pleasant. I also have a gas flap hood, and come to think of it, I have never used it. I always lift the hood when fueling up for two reasons:

1) I'm afraid to damage the hood with the fuel nozzle if I drop or misdirect it etc.

2) if there is spillage, it's quicker to clean, rather than having to lift the hood anyway. I keep an old towel right there in the luggage compartment for just that purpose.

I guess I can add risk of blood spillage to my reasons.

I wonder if you can add a similar rubber strip to that bottom edge without it interfering with opening and closing it?
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I've cut my finger badly on the flap as well. To remedy this, I removed my gas flap, cut two notches in that bottom lip, and then folded the lip over onto itself, and then re-installed the flap. That way there is no sharp metal jutting forward down there. When the flap is closed, you can not even notice. I will take some photos today.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    3937

What came to mind was another, shorter piece of the same edging strip that goes down the side and rear of the hood.

This stuff: http://store.delorean.com/p-9590-edg...ip-44long.aspx

Same idea you were thinking of Dana?

There are also the pieces that curve around the inside edges of the wheel wells. That's a slightly different type of material though, but maybe easier to work with. I recall when I replaced the rear edge strip on my hood that it was fairly ridged and not the easiest to bend into new shapes or cut.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    What came to mind was another, shorter piece of the same edging strip that goes down the side and rear of the hood.

There are also the pieces that curve around the inside edges of the wheel wells. That's a slightly different type of material though, but maybe easier to work with. I recall when I replaced the rear edge strip on my hood that it was fairly ridged and not the easiest to bend into new shapes or cut.
    I did that for a while, but it fell off because there wasn't enough lip for it to grab. Cutting and folding is the way to go, IMO.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I did that for a while, but it fell off because there wasn't enough lip for it to grab. Cutting and folding is the way to go, IMO.
    Yes, the lip is very small, I was thinking like the others too, and put something over the lip, but it may not hold.
    Patrick how did you prevent damaging the top surface of the flap when folding? Maybe lay the flap on a flat surface and fold the lip with a piece of wood?

My VIN:    3937

Yea, eliminating the hazard is better than trying something to safeguard against it for sure, i.e. folding it over vs the rubber strip.

You could duct tape it temporarily too like we often do with the insides of the doors if you're stuck.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    5302

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You could duct tape it temporarily too like we often do with the insides of the doors if you're stuck.
    Yep, I've heard horror stories of the inside of the doors being deadly sharp as well. Be very careful if you're doing window motors, door locks, etc. The duct tape is a definite must if not something better.
    Last edited by DL4567; 08-05-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Derek L
    VIN 5302

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Yes, that's what I was thinking of either using the same material or a narrower strip. Regardless, perhaps you'll need to trim the height of the strip to fit the small edge and then apply a bead of clear silicone adhesive to hold it in place. I needed to clean and reattach these rubber strips all around the hood per service bulletin ST-01-6/81 http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-01-6.81.html when I first got my car. The adhesive is described in step 3.

Otherwise Patrick's solution is available .
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Here are photos of my solution. Notched and rolled up.
    Attached Images
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast