FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Coolant hose to A/T Cooler

My VIN:    1890

Coolant hose to A/T Cooler

I had a leak in one of my lower coolant hoses, so I bought a set of all the lower hoses. I had ordered silicon, but received rubber instead, but decided to go ahead and use them. I replaced all the hoses, and by chance, the last hoses I did were on the A/T cooler. After struggling a bit, I realized that the A/T cooler is a larger diameter than the rest of the piping. It took a bit of silicon grease and struggling to get the hoses on there.

After realizing what I was dealing with, I did find some scattered info regarding this. In an old thread, David T said you can't stretch silicon hoses, so I suppose I was lucky I didn't actually receive the silicon.

In another 30-month-old thread, I see that DMC actually offers proper hoses with different diameters (105994 and 106821).

This seems like common knowledge to some, but I didn't get the memo! Given that a considerable number have A/T's, I surprised this isn't mentioned in the various how-to's.

I'll suppose I'll know next time!
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible

My VIN:    03572

I had no problem stretching my silicon hoses for that location. Also stretched it on the water pump back plate hose.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi. Yes, the hoses that go on the A/T cooler (or in my case, the manual 105995 replacement pipe) are slightly larger diameter. I also discovered that when I refurbed the coolant system. As you mentioned, I used the rubber DMC kit which included the 2 hoses that have a different diameter at both ends. I remember needing to ensure they were installed in the correct orientation otherwise they wouldn't fit properly. The hoses were individually marked with part numbers so it made it easier to follow the parts diagram as a guide.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    1890

I should have mentioned that the hose kit was from Hervey - all were 1.25" ID (except for the top-right radiator hose).
    Robert
    1981 DeLorean #1890
    1976 Datsun 280Z
    1968 Pontiac Le Mans convertible