FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What receiver-dryer should 2638 have? Also, AC question.

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

What receiver-dryer should 2638 have? Also, AC question.

So I an looking to replace the receiver dryer & orifice tube on 2638, - I have the early type receiver dryer with the outlet on the bottom of the unit. Should I replace this unit with the same type unit (special-T auto has it for $100) - or is there something else I can do that is an upgrade? Also, where is the orifice tube located on my car?

Oh, also seems like my selector switch is leaking... I guess I should replace this while I'm at it.
    Still rocking the Ducellier

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I just replaced these. If you replace with a DMC unit, you'll need an adapter hose. The orifice tube is located between the condenser and the evaporator line, so if you unscrew the hose that runs to the evaporator (usually right up close to the left (rear) side of the dryer you'll see it poking out.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

If you change out the low pressure AC line, you can get the late style hose and use the late style accumulator. Something to consider if you think you may be replacing your lines in the future.

I did this last summer on 1643. During my second evaporator replacement (some evaporators aren't as good as others), I was also changing both of the AC lines. I knew I also wanted to replace the accumulator so I went with the late style. The old style accumulator is very expensive and hard to come by. The new style is cheep and is available at autozone if you know how to ask for it.

A/C accumulator from a 1986 Corvette:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...3220_146681_0_

I believe you also use the same vehicle to buy low pressure switches at autozone:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7503_311178_0_

Orfice tubes:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...7826_270296_0_

And variable orfice tubes:
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...0751_270315_0_
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 05-31-2012 at 12:38 AM.

DeLorean Driver

My VIN:    2638

Ok, so in order to use the A/C accumulator from a 1986 Corvette, I need to change the low pressure hose. Which one do I need to use from what vender, this one?

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...b-assembly.jpg

and then It should work? The set up I have looks exactly like this-

but adding the AC hub assembly will I end up with 2 low pressure switches, or is it a high pressure / low pressure switch now, and I need to re-wire from the existing switch? Also, will I need to replace all the other hoses too or are the fittings the same? Also, split Vs continuous hoses?
    Still rocking the Ducellier

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Ok, so in order to use the A/C accumulator from a 1986 Corvette, I need to change the low pressure hose. Which one do I need to use from what vender, this one?

http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean...b-assembly.jpg

and then It should work? The set up I have looks exactly like this-

but adding the AC hub assembly will I end up with 2 low pressure switches, or is it a high pressure / low pressure switch now, and I need to re-wire from the existing switch? Also, will I need to replace all the other hoses too or are the fittings the same? Also, split Vs continuous hoses?
    Adding the hub will give you a high and a low pressure switch. Wiring changes are minimal I think, you just have to hook the same connector to both switches and they handle the rest, just measuring pressure and opening the circuit if it goes out of spec. I don't know for sure if there is a loose connector in the harness or if you have to make your own jumper.

Split hoses unless you want to lift the body off the frame. That vendor's hoses are very nice quality.

The hub assembly isn't part of the hose that needs to be replaced to accomodate the new accumulator. If you're doing one I'd just do all three since the system will be open anyway and it will save you the trouble down the line if you decide you need the others for some reason. You need to replace the line from the compressor to the accumulator to accomodate the new style. Then you have one from the compressor to the condenser, and the short one from the condenser to the evaporator. I don't recall 100% but I think the hub assembly hose replaces the hose from the condenser to evaporator, which isn't *required* for your accumulator replacement. But it might be a good idea. I didn't add one when I did my system and I wish I had, just for the peace of mind of having a high pressure switch.

Look at the parts diagram: http://specialtauto.com/delorean-par...s/ac-parts.jpg

Also: I don't mean to start another holy war on A/C hose replacement. Replace what you think you need to. But the fact is that the single old hose won't fit the new style accumulator. If you think your hoses are good you will probably save money just buying a replacement old-style accumulator. Why are you replacing just the accumulator, anyway?
    Last edited by jawn101; 05-31-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    11596

When you install a high pressure hub on a later car, what happens to this?

The hub only has one switch in it and a blow-off valve (I think that's what it is)

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

OK not trying to thread-jack but I'm really confused with a similar situation.

11596 and 11114 are similar cars in that they have the later accumulator. There is one switch on the accumulator, I think that's the low pressure/cycling switch.

I have the high pressure hub as pictured above. It has one switch on it with a relief valve.

The evaporator to condenser hose is what the high pressure hub (with included hose) replaces, right? If so, how is it wired up?

Then, what happens to the switch at the base of the condenser? Isn't that the high pressure switch?

So on these cars there is a switch on the accumulator and a switch on the condenser. Do I need to buy a low pressure switch to connect to the accumulator, and connect the high press switch wires to the hub switch?

Very confusing.

Andy
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    OK not trying to thread-jack but I'm really confused with a similar situation.

11596 and 11114 are similar cars in that they have the later accumulator. There is one switch on the accumulator, I think that's the low pressure/cycling switch.

I have the high pressure hub as pictured above. It has one switch on it with a relief valve.

The evaporator to condenser hose is what the high pressure hub (with included hose) replaces, right? If so, how is it wired up?

Then, what happens to the switch at the base of the condenser? Isn't that the high pressure switch?

So on these cars there is a switch on the accumulator and a switch on the condenser. Do I need to buy a low pressure switch to connect to the accumulator, and connect the high press switch wires to the hub switch?

Very confusing.

Andy
    I'm also confused... now I have an early-vin system, and there is only one switch. The low pressure switch is the one in the accumulator. So you have three switches?

The way I understood the later systems is they have the low pressure switch that shuts off the compressor/fans if the low side gets too low (prevents icing the system), the high pressure switch that shuts off the compressor of the high side gets too high (prevents bursting hoses or other components), and the pop-off valve that acts as a backup to release pressure in case the switches are inoperative for whatever reason.

I just checked the parts diagram again and there's only 2 switches in the stock system; the high and low pressure switches:

http://store.delorean.com/c-303-7-2-...ve-system.aspx - #26 and #39

Edit: I understand what's going on now. The high pressure hub that the vendor in question sells is a *replacement* for your assembly between the condenser and evaporator with the pop off valve and the high pressure switch. The advantage to this new one is the removable/repairable modular design and the refrigerant sight glass. It's a good retrofit option for early VIN systems with no high pressure hub like mine and possibly OP's. It would also be a viable replacement if there's something wrong with your high pressure system. But it's a replacement not an addition, so if you installed it you'd remove the item you posted the picture of (#42 on the parts diagram) and use the new hub instead.
    Last edited by jawn101; 05-31-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Sorry, there are only 2 switches - one on accumulator and one at base of condenser. Dmc6960 just told me the high pressure hub replaces the short hose and the switch /blowoff on the condenser. I will have to run the high pressure wires over to the new hub when I install it.
    Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Very confusing.
    Andy
    Let's try this. There are four configurations. Let's call it "Very Early", "Early", "Middle", "Late"

ALL versions have the low pressure switch screwed to the accumulator. This never moves.

Very Early (500s, through low 1000s) - Uses the accumulator with the outlet at the bottom. No cross in the crossover hose next to the accumulator (Feeds the orifice tube) . No high-pressure switch and no blow-off valve. If the system gets plugged, something blows up.

Early (up to sometime in the 2000s) - Uses the accumulator with the outlet at the bottom. Adds the cross in the crossover hose next to the accumulator (Feeds the orifice tube) with the high pressure switch and the blow-off valve.

Middle (the rest of the 81s)- Uses the accumulator with the outlet at the side. Same crossover configuration as "Early"

Late (82 and 83 but not necessarily at the exact 82 model changeover)- Uses the accumulator with the outlet at the side. No cross next to the accumulator. Has an aluminum block at the condenser OUTLET with a high pressure switch and blow-off valve.

There are exceptions as many cars have been converted from early to late setups. It is possible to replace the crossover cross-type hose with a late/very early straight hose and completely lose the high pressure switch and blowoff valve, so it would look like the very early config.
    Last edited by DMCMW Dave; 05-31-2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: corrected late
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast