FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alteration of Fan Fail Relay

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You're right about the jumpers being a temporary fix. On many cars it has worked for over 30 years! The factory was supposed to come out with a better solution but that never happened. Your mod is OK but "back in the day" when Fanzilla was available, that was the better, (expensive), more elegant solution along with changing the breaker. I personally have seen those jumpers burn so if anyone is still using them (lots are!) they should be inspected regularly. Using those jumpers you lose the Fan Fail warning light, IMHO a good thing to have.
    David Teitelbaum

Reasonably sure the fuses are all original. I'll take David's advice - remove and polish each blade - insure a snug fit when reinstalling.

Has anyone used Corrosion X to spray electrical terminals? Several aircraft mechanics I know swear by it. They claim that once treated, the terminals are almost impervious to corrosion. A boat owner I know swears by CRC 6-56, also for cleaning an protecting terminal connections (among other things). I would think this treatment would benefit the fuse block connections. But perhaps overkill since the fuse panel is somewhat sheltered and dry?

Darryl - Splitting the circuit so each fan could have it's own relay seems a good notion. Reworking the wiring on the relay sockets would be fairly straightforward. However, I will soon be installing the lower current fans from Toby, so maybe a mute point.

David - I also think the fan fail feature (if it worked correctly) would be very beneficial. Does Dave M have a replacement gizmo for this?

Thanks,
    Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 08-19-2017 at 04:19 AM.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Darryl - Splitting the circuit so each fan could have it's own relay seems a good notion. Reworking the wiring on the relay sockets would be fairly straightforward. However, I will soon be installing the lower current fans from Toby, so maybe a mute point.

David - I also think the fan fail feature (if it worked correctly) would be very beneficial. Does Dave M have a replacement gizmo for this?

Thanks,
    Ron
    When you do the relay split, you loose the fan fail socket. Most relays are rated for 30 or 40 amps and with low power fans your drawing less than 20 amps total.

Yes my electronic fused fan fail unit turns on the fan fail light if either fan runs less than 4 amps or greater than 18 amps. It will shut down that fan if current exceeds 20 amps. It also delays turning the second fan on by two seconds.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Yes my electronic fused fan fail unit turns on the fan fail light if either fan runs less than 4 amps or greater than 18 amps. It will shut down that fan if current exceeds 20 amps. It also delays turning the second fan on by two seconds.
    This sounds excellent. I'll be in touch.

Upon further investigation into my cooling fan issue... it's my otterstat - the contact is stuck in the closed position causing my fans to run whenever the key is on. I was pleased to see that the replacement cost is reasonable from DMC.

Thanks,
    Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2