FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever Regretted selling your Delorean?

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    I have owned a few DeLoreans...some I regret selling more so because I could have kept them as daily drivers and others not so much because I just didn't have the time to care for them with the busy life of family and work.

My biggest regret was my first DMC #16664 which I purchased from the original owner with 345 miles and sold it with 788 miles...after 10 years of ownership!!!! Apparently the new owner drove it all the time. Moral of my story, if you own it, drive and enjoy it. Don't abuse it or destroy it but enjoy it or else once you sell it someone else will!!

Needless to say I am still searching for #16664 as I want her back.
    You are probably aware of this but according to the Texas Delorean's Club's VIN Registry your car is now in Switzerland and (still) with only 788 miles on it
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Considering the change in value, I see more and more the car as an investment now.
    Around my place near Ottawa Ontario, there is close to none for sale. So selling one here in Canada alone would probably be quite quick, because of rarity.

But sometime, I am tempted to selling it too. Because I am somewhat fed up with all the attention and the interior noise... and would therefore like to experience something that has more go...like a Porsche. But the 911 are still way out the kind of money I probably could get from selling a Delorean.

I drive mine at least once every week or two weeks, to keep things moving and lubricated. But I guess I would experience regret in selling it, such a unique & cool car.
    You can absolutely get a 911 for DeLorean money. 996s are quite affordable, but they have certain maintenance items that you have to keep in mind, such as the infamous intermediate shaft bearing.

In fact, I'd say that if you sold a DeLorean for a reasonable price, you can get the 996, get it caught up on critical maintenance items, and still have money left over.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    1983 canadian model

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    You can absolutely get a 911 for DeLorean money. 996s are quite affordable, but they have certain maintenance items that you have to keep in mind, such as the infamous intermediate shaft bearing.

In fact, I'd say that if you sold a DeLorean for a reasonable price, you can get the 996, get it caught up on critical maintenance items, and still have money left over.
    ok thanks. I know they are pretty available since the purist do not consider them true Porsche. I am personally more interested in the 993 (very expensive! maybe not too much the '95 but...) or the 80's. The 996 I would probably consider is the turbo. But I know this is a bit off the topic for now...

For now my little daughter do not want me to sell _ she loves when I pick her up after school with it!

My VIN:    1710

Like others, I bought my car when I was young- 19, though I actually started saving for one when I was 11. I was an owner about 5 years (I agree that seems to be the make or break point), and I decided I needed a break from the cars; everything I'd worked towards for more than half of my life was for DeLoreans. So I sold mine, and for several years I didn't think much about DeLoreans at all. Getting rid of the car allowed me to do a lot of living, traveling, etc that I'd always denied myself. Do I regret selling? Yes & no. I miss the cars & community terribly, but fully realize there are always other ones I can buy. Which I will do when the right car comes along at the right price at the right time.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    1058

you personally cant sell without having regrets. if you were ready to sell you wouldnt be thinking so hard about it. When i sold mine i didnt think about it for very long, because I knew it was time. If you dont know whether or not that it is time to sell then its not time. You should hold on to it for a while longer.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    ok thanks. I know they are pretty available since the purist do not consider them true Porsche. I am personally more interested in the 993 (very expensive! maybe not too much the '95 but...) or the 80's. The 996 I would probably consider is the turbo. But I know this is a bit off the topic for now...

For now my little daughter do not want me to sell _ she loves when I pick her up after school with it!
    Not sure of your situation, but all things being equal, I think this is a great reason to hang on to it, having 2 daughters of my own who feel the same way. I plan to never sell mine. Rather, it will go to one of them when I'm done with it.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have had mine for almost a decade now. I kicked around the idea of selling it but after asking myself what other car I would want as my "weekend car", I draw a blank. The truth is there just is no other car that can fill it's shoes.

There are cars that are newer, quicker, more luxurious, easier to maintain, more practical....but none of them are DeLoreans.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

When I sold I knew I would buy one again.
    Last edited by Alex Brooks; 08-24-2017 at 09:44 AM.
    Alex Brooks

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

I have had my car for over a decade now and there is no way I could ever part with it. For me these cars are just way too much fun and now I have my own car club with a good friend of mine and we work on everybody's car together. Within the next couple years I will buy me a second DeLorean and hopefully pass that one on to my son because he has a really strong interest in these cars at 7 years old and he likes being the photographer for our car club and at his age he takes really awesome pictures. To be able to afford and own such an Exquisite automobile is definitely a blessing and I know I would regret if I ever got rid of a DeLorean so I'd rather collect then depart with.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Dietrich View Post
    I have had my car for over a decade now and there is no way I could ever part with it. For me these cars are just way too much fun and now I have my own car club with a good friend of mine and we work on everybody's car together. Within the next couple years I will buy me a second DeLorean and hopefully pass that one on to my son because he has a really strong interest in these cars at 7 years old and he likes being the photographer for our car club and at his age he takes really awesome pictures. To be able to afford and own such an Exquisite automobile is definitely a blessing and I know I would regret if I ever got rid of a DeLorean so I'd rather collect then depart with.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Plus, you're so hairy you can regrain the car with your back!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast