FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Softening the ride

Softening the ride

Any way of softening the ride of a Delorean? I just drove one for a several hours that was in very nice shape 35K invested within the past 3 yrs. The car has not been lowered and it wears BF goodrich tires presently.

Any and all thoughts and ideas please, the ride "quality" issue could be a deal breaker for me and owning a Delorean. I'm not looking for pillow soft just somethig more like an M3, firm but not jarring.

Springs, roll bars, shocks, torsion bars????

Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance on the subject.

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 08087 View Post
    Any way of softening the ride of a Delorean? I just drove one for a several hours that was in very nice shape 35K invested within the past 3 yrs. The car has not been lowered and it wears BF goodrich tires presently.

Any and all thoughts and ideas please, the ride "quality" issue could be a deal breaker for me and owning a Delorean. I'm not looking for pillow soft just somethig more like an M3, firm but not jarring.

Springs, roll bars, shocks, torsion bars????

Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance on the subject.

The main thing about the ride quality is the shocks. There are shocks availble now that are adjustable for ride height. Torsion bars ( the most valuable part of a Delorean), are what hold the doors onto the car and act as a spring. They are counter turned each way several times to get the "springy" effect.

Quietly enjoying ownership Cory W's Avatar

My VIN:    4692

See if you can ride in or drive other cars that are configured differently first. It could just be the tires. It could be the shocks. It could be the ride height. You could still have expectations that are too heightened and you won't like any configuration.

My car has the original (as far as I know; definitely factory style) shocks, factory ride height, and now 2 year old Cooper Cobras. I'm satisfied with the ride, and it doesn't beat me up just to go across town or on a 4 hour highway trip.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

+1 on Reply #2. It's the shocks.

Read this thread, paying attention to the adjustable-valve shock options or the MidState option, which is said to be on the softer side.

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?11...-vs.-MidState&

Other ideas might be found in that thread.

Ride harshness is not a permanent feature on a D so don't let that stop you.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Lots of shock options - for touring shocks (sounds like what you want) look at the delorean mid state kit (very comfy) or John Herveys Easy Riders.

For sporty (stiffer and more feedback) look at the eibach kit.

For the ultimate, look at the spax (Hervey at al) or DMC Europe shocks. These are fully adjustable from acid trip in a 72 caddie to bone rattling, height adjustable rears too.

As has already been said, each car is different, odds are pretty good you will be happy with the ride on the car when you find yours, if not its a relatively easy fix. Go buy that car!

My VIN:    03572

My car with Hervey's easy riders is very comfortable. Not quite as smooth as my 2005 Malibu but not floaty like my 2003 Impala.

Now you will still feel bumps in the steering wheel since you don't have the power steering to cushion those bumps.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My car with Hervey's easy riders is very comfortable.
    +1 on the Easy-Riders. Even though my car has been lowered with Eibach springs, Hervey's shocks make the ride a lot less jarring.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The single most important element to the suspension is the tires. Old tires will feel like driving the car on round, hard rocks. You must also have the correct tire pressure in them. Next is shocks and then springs. Neither will matter much on a smooth highway. On a smooth highway at speed it's all about the tires. If the tires are over 7 years old they must be replaced. You will notice the difference immediately, it is like driving a totally different car.
    David Teitelbaum

Thank you to all, I'm not as afraid as I was just 1 week ago. I'll have to give a couple more Deloreans a ride and talk to my buddy about his ride when I get the chance.

Wheew, I thought I might never even get close to the only "classic" car I really want to own.