FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: UN1 bell house adapter plate

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by delgato View Post
    Yes it is.

This is why I have to custom make an adapter plate.

I also have to make a coupler for the electric motor shaft to the trans shaft.

What I have done was to get ahold of an old PRV crank shaft and cut the end off.

After I cut the end off I rounded it a bit. A lot of work.

Next I will take it to a machine shop to round it perfectly and add the motor shaft hole with a key way and set screws.

The other end is already perfectly set up for the fly wheel and trans shaft. I want to keep the manual cluch assembly.

I work at a metal fab shop with a lasers and precision turrets and other cool stuff.

I plan to make some tester pieces there. The final product will need to go to a machine shop since we can not laser 3/4" or 1" thick aluminum.
    Very cool. Neat idea cutting the butt end of the crank off so you can retain the stock flywheel. Hopefully the stock clutch has enough force to handle the electric motor's torque.
    I had an issue with this and moved to a heavier pressure plate.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    #2292 (gas flap, black interior, 5spd) (hubby has #6772, grey interior auto)

Club(s):  

this thread is very interesting to us, as we are swapping out the PRV in #2292 due to block rot (gone through to an oil channel), and fitting a 24v 3.0 engine from a Peugeot 406. This engine is pretty much what the PRV over time evolved into, and we've bought a donor car with the later D9 version (210hp stock).
    Josh, we've commented on your Facebook post regarding adapter plates, so hopefully we can sort this, as I know of several other UK owners that are looking at going this route to 'future proof' their cars, as at the end of the day, the PRV's are all 35+yrs old now, and with our famed climate here in the UK, people are starting to realise that 'block rot' is a ticking time bomb for our engines.
    Kind regards
    Claire & Phill, UK

IMG_20160907_144045.jpg _20170903_110324.jpg Pug rear.jpg
    Last edited by Guinney1971; 09-05-2017 at 11:14 AM.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you can swap out the transaxle too you would not need an adapter plate and maybe wind up with a better transaxle. Probably need to customize the half-shafts but that is easy. You are also going to have to move over the engine harness and ECU unless you do a custom job with an aftermarket engine management system like M/S.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you can swap out the transaxle too you would not need an adapter plate and maybe wind up with a better transaxle. Probably need to customize the half-shafts but that is easy. You are also going to have to move over the engine harness and ECU unless you do a custom job with an aftermarket engine management system like M/S.
    How do you figure you are going to fit a transverse fwd trans in a delorean?

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    How do you figure you are going to fit a transverse fwd trans in a delorean?
    Did you just guru the guru?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

The PRV with the Renault transaxle was originally a front wheel drive package. The diff was flipped over so you don't get 5 reverse gears for the Delorean. I don't know what is in the donor but if it is possible to use the transaxle it offers the possibility of a better transmission and you don't have to try adapting the motor to the Renault box. It becomes even more important if you try to transplant the motor and the ECU is also integrated into the transmission. Of course you have to be able to fit it in if you can.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The PRV with the Renault transaxle was originally a front wheel drive package. The diff was flipped over so you don't get 5 reverse gears for the Delorean. I don't know what is in the donor but if it is possible to use the transaxle it offers the possibility of a better transmission and you don't have to try adapting the motor to the Renault box. It becomes even more important if you try to transplant the motor and the ECU is also integrated into the transmission. Of course you have to be able to fit it in if you can.
    Dave, you've never done your own engine swaps. Why are you trying to "educate" somebody who is well known for pulling off an excellently done swap?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Dave, you've never done your own engine swaps. Why are you trying to "educate" somebody who is well known for pulling off an excellently done swap?
    I have been involved in several swaps, just none in a Delorean. I am only offering suggestions, I don't know why you have a problem with this. Isn't that what these forums are all about? Giving each other ideas?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    #2292 (gas flap, black interior, 5spd) (hubby has #6772, grey interior auto)

Club(s):  

apologies for delay in responding, original donor car fell through, but picked another one up from London yesterday.

The PRV essentially evolved into the L7X PSA/Renault unit - the one we've got is the later one with VVT (reworked by Porsche), but pre-multiplex wiring.

We'll be transferring as much as possible to the DeLorean, the engine is circa 211hp stock (with catalytic converter), but we don't need a catalyst on a pre 1993 car here, so we wont be fitting one

Here's our new victim, June 2000 registered, 112,000 miles, car is battered to hell, but the engine is great and has very good performance.

Will start pulling it apart in the next few weeks all being well.
    IMG_0901.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3