FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Angle Drive - Martin Gutkowski's unit

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I wonder if there is enough demand for these units to warrant an order from speedograph. They aren't cheap. I think I paid around $150 for mine. We'd have to order no less than 5 to probably make it worth while.
    If it helps with the demand, I highly recommend this product. My signature may be just a hair off as I probably have 70,000 miles on this angle drive now with zero problems and using the original shaft. All going strong.

I don't mind paying a little extra for a product that is of high quality and will last. This is one of those products.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

As someone who literally is going to install an angle drive in the next week or two, Which model # would we use?
    RGB2410?

These are pretty
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

Not a self styled 'Guru'

The original Smiths Industries angle drive part number is BG2401/11

The Speedograph replacement would be a variant of the RGB2401: http://www.speedograph-richfield.com/html/rgb2401.html

However, Speedograph will no longer manufacture the DeLorean variant of this drive. I have tried and failed at getting them to produce a batch, they cited 'health and safety' as their reasons for being unable to manufacture it.

I was told that someone had complained that the supplied nut had cracked on their unit, so I believe Speedograph are now doing a CYA with the 'health and safety' claim so that they don't get a potential lawsuit come their way.

For clarity, the Speedograph unit was previously supplied complete with the nut already in place as per the example pictures shown below.

When I was speaking with them on this however, I specifically advised them the nut was NOT required for our application as we can simply swap the nut from our old angle drive.

01.jpg 02.jpg

As others have mentioned here they were built like a tank, I've had one on my car for 6 years and 20k+ miles and it's still going strong.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    3937

I have the UK club (what is now the DeLoreanGO parts webstore) angle drive and one piece speedo cable. It's been on there for almost two full seasons and close to 3,000 miles.

I have not had any problems with it, but do have a question to potentially limit future problems:

Is there any lubrication still needed on either the angle drive itself or the one piece speedo cable?

I don't think there is a grease nipple on the angle drive with the one I have. Wasn't sure about the speedo cable though and whether I should be taking it apart once per season to spray some lube down inside the length of it.

Any suggestions?

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Not a self styled 'Guru'

The DeLoreanGo angle drives are an Ed/DMC Europe part. The DeLoreanGo speedo cables, upper, lower, and one-piece are manufactured for the club in the UK.

Lubrication wise, probably overkill but once a year I remove the cable from the angle drive, and put a few drops of gear oil into the angle drive. I'm also running the one-piece speedo cable, but haven't seen the need to lubricate it yet.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    The DeLoreanGo angle drives are an Ed/DMC Europe part. The DeLoreanGo speedo cables, upper, lower, and one-piece are manufactured for the club in the UK.

Lubrication wise, probably overkill but once a year I remove the cable from the angle drive, and put a few drops of gear oil into the angle drive. I'm also running the one-piece speedo cable, but haven't seen the need to lubricate it yet.
    What about lubrication on an original drive? This thread got me thinking about my angle drive. Working fine right now but wondered if I should give it some attention.

Thanks, Ron

Not a self styled 'Guru'

If it's original I would do the same, lubricate it with gear oil once a year.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Just to pipe in here, but.. angle drives are still available through the DMC vendors as well.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    16409

Check with Rob Grady as he can beef up an original Smiths Angle drive with improved cogs.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    I was told that someone had complained that the supplied nut had cracked on their unit, so I believe Speedograph are now doing a CYA with the 'health and safety' claim so that they don't get a potential lawsuit come their way.

For clarity, the Speedograph unit was previously supplied complete with the nut already in place as per the example pictures shown below.

When I was speaking with them on this however, I specifically advised them the nut was NOT required for our application as we can simply swap the nut from our old angle drive.
    Mike do you recommend to change the speedograph nut with the original one?
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast