FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Has anyone used Plastidip / Plasti Dip on their stock rims?

My VIN:    10515

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Has anyone used Plastidip / Plasti Dip on their stock rims?

My rims are doing the flaking/chipping thing, and I was thinking about using plastidip / plasti dip. (Plasti dip on Amazon - www.amzn.to/2xCPlAD)

Here's some videos too - www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plasti+dip+on+rims

While OPINIONS are okay, I'm hoping to find someone here with EXPERIENCE using plasti dip on their stock DeLorean rims :)
    Last edited by dtavres; 08-26-2017 at 11:41 PM.

My VIN:    4877

I hadnt even considered using plastidip...do they even make a color that matches the stock rims? I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done this too.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10515

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    ...do they even make a color that matches the stock rims?
    I was thinking of trying the black... being that it's removable.

They have a "metalizer" that goes on after the spray as well, which gives it a metal look.

Here's all of their colors - www.plastidip.com/our-products/plasti-dip

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

An owner in Ontario painted his orange. As I recall it was a pain in the ass to remove. Especially if the surface is chipped paint and the intricate design of the delorean rims. It will start peeling at some point.

Dont do it, you will regret it. But I am bias as I hate plastidip. You can get your rims professionally refurbished in the 300-500 range, definitely worth it.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by dtavres View Post
    My rims are doing the flaking/chipping thing, and I was thinking about using plastidip / plasti dip. (Plasti dip on Amazon - www.amzn.to/2xCPlAD)

Here's some videos too - www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plasti+dip+on+rims

While OPINIONS are okay, I'm hoping to find someone here with EXPERIENCE using plasti dip on their stock DeLorean rims
    I've had experience with plastidip in other applications. If you're rims are chipping or missing paint then you do not want to use plastidip. It will be exteremely difficult and tedious to remove. It will also be diffuclt to remove between the fins in general.
    Plastidip likes to on top of a good painted surface to go on smooth and peel off relatively easily (its never as easy as they say).

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have had the misfortune of being tasked to remove that crap. It is all but impossible with anything other than a pressure washer. I would steer clear of it. All it's good for is murdering out crackheads' Cobalts and Chargers