FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Cars Have You Sold Off to Buy a DeLorean and Why?

What Cars Have You Sold Off to Buy a DeLorean and Why?

I thought this would be a fun discussion. Fire away!

My VIN:    16409

1992 Nissan 300zx 2+2
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    3937

My DeLorean fund wasn't initially created by the sale of a car. It got started from my "quitting smoking" jar.

Every day I didn't spend money on buying smokes, I put that same money in the jar. It was a long way off from being enough to eventually buy the car, but that was an early motivation for two positive things to happen.

No smoking DeLorean.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    1992 Nissan 300zx 2+2
    I almost bought a 300zx but ended up buying a Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo. I still miss that car. I will be selling off a 1970 Mustang Mach 1 mostly because I feel more connected to the era of the DeLorean and have thought about owning one for a long time. Many cars have come and gone over my 16 year driving history, but I keep coming back to the DMC -12 probably for the same reason as many people: its uniqueness, BTTF, the facinating story of how it came to be, the Greek tragedy of its founder, and the community around it.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I did not want to get a loan for and old car as, I never drove the Defender 90 much as cool of a car defender is, it is not a DeLorean. With what they go for now and with the new defender coming out and now the ability to import a non North American spec defender for a lot less I feel the Land Rover defender market for the NAS specs have peak and will bust soon.

I missed my DeLorean and DeLorean people are friendlier so after 14 years it was time to cash out on the Rover and get back in to the DeLorean world. I will probably buy a non North American spec defender 110 soon and still have money left over.
    But as of now I don’t have room for a Land Rover.
    Last edited by Alex Brooks; 08-27-2017 at 03:06 PM.
    Alex Brooks

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

I had a mint 1991 300ZX too. It was immaculate inside and out but I didn't sell it to buy my DeLorean. I actually wanted to keep both cars but I didn't have the garage space for it and the D and it was way too nice to keep outside(and I didn't want a driveway full of cars). I sadly had to sell it and the first person that came to look at it bought it on the spot. It was without a doubt the best pure road GT car I have ever had. Those Z32's were truly ahead of their time. It was pearl white w/leather interior, t tops and it had the digital climate display package which gave the dash a nice retro look. Leather was perfect, paint was immaculate, and you could eat off the engine. (in the background of the last pic was my 300hp modifiedTalon TSi turbo, which I sold after i bought my 300)

300z5.jpgDSCF0058.jpg300z4.jpg
    Last edited by Michael; 08-27-2017 at 03:21 PM.

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

I began the process of selling my 1975 Bricklin when I bought my first DeLorean in July 1998. The idea was to use the proceeds from the Bricklin to pay off the small note I had on the DeLorean and fund the restoration. However, by the time the Bricklin sold in November 1999, the DeLorean was paid off and drivable.

I ended up buying another Bricklin (a 1974 this time) in July 2016.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Awesome member

My VIN:    5292

2003 Honda Shadow 750cc

Shadow 01.jpg

My VIN:    4877

I didnt sell a car to buy my Delorean...though I did sell my 99 Mustang to put the money into the restoration. Dont regret it, but I had hoped to have the D up and running by now, so the Mustang funds didnt seem to do alot...lol
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I didnt sell a car to buy my Delorean...though I did sell my 99 Mustang to put the money into the restoration. Dont regret it, but I had hoped to have the D up and running by now, so the Mustang funds didnt seem to do alot...lol
    If it was not a 6 hour drive from Bend to Tacoma I would love to help you wrench on your Delorean. How far are you from having it be a drivable project ? I'm sure other would help at tech session in the club to when you join.

My Brother an I will be picking my Delorean up in seven days and I already can't wait to go to the next club get together.

How many Ds does Toby in the shop right now ? I feel like I should call him to let him know I bought another one; I don't want to waste his time on the phone if he busy.

sorry for getting a little off topic.
    Alex Brooks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast