FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anatomy of the Early Delorean Key with Light

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Any ideas on a replacement led and were to get one? Hate to buy a dozen different ones to get the best one that fits.

My bulb needs to be soldered back in.

Dave B.
    You probably won't find one that's plug and play. I'm guessing your battery is 3 volts. Most white LEDs take about 3 to 4 volts so you may just be able to find one LED chip and it may not need any current limiting resistor.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The lighted key was only for the early, 2 key system door key. The blank won't fit the newer 1 key lock.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The lighted key was only for the early, 2 key system door key. The blank won't fit the newer 1 key lock.
    Unless you get one of the lighted key reproductions that was made for the newer 1 key system. I have one of these uncut. Unfortunately, my car still has the 2 key system, so I'm in the reverse situation; no reason to cut the key yet since it still wont work in my door. Perhaps I'll update my locks at some point, then it'll be good to go. To my knowledge, there were never reproductions made of the lighted key for the 2 key system.

Luckily I also have the original lighted key for my car (though I could probably count on one hand how many time's I've actually used it).

Also, where did that key come from? I dont think that's an original is it? Is it an early reproduction of the lighted key? My original key looks like the one on the left in this photo (except that shown is a reproduction with the later style key shank).

EDIT:

My original lighted key looks like the bottom left key shown in this photo. My reproduction key looks like the one shown on the far left above^.

Last edited by Nicholas R; 08-28-2017 at 01:03 PM.

My VIN:    6125

Nick, I see you have the same key chain that I currently have...I don't think I've seen another one like it before. 6125's PO gave it to me when I bought the car and he got it with the car when he purchased it in 2001. I's made out of some kind of soft metal and looks old like it could be original from the 80's.

Any idea where these key chains came from? I don't have any history on my car prior to '01 so if they came from a particular dealership somewhere that might be an interesting piece of history about my car.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

These aren't my photos; I just found them online for reference. Sorry for the confusion!

My VIN:    1561

That's my picture. I bought my car in 2005 from the original owner. The original dealer was "The Automaster" in Shelburne, VT. They're still in business today selling BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover and Honda. I got all those keys from the original owner, almost assuredly that DMC key chain was part of the original dealer sale. My guess it was an item sold with some of the early cars, mine is 1561.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Nick, I see you have the same key chain that I currently have...I don't think I've seen another one like it before. 6125's PO gave it to me when I bought the car and he got it with the car when he purchased it in 2001. I's made out of some kind of soft metal and looks old like it could be original from the 80's.

Any idea where these key chains came from? I don't have any history on my car prior to '01 so if they came from a particular dealership somewhere that might be an interesting piece of history about my car.

Todd, VIN 1561

http://1561project.com

My VIN:    6125

Thanks for the info on the keychain!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2