FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Power Mirror issues on drivers side only

My VIN:    3294

Power Mirror issues on drivers side only

I noticed this weekend when driving my car, the drivers side power mirror can no longer tilt left or right. It moves up and down just fine. If I flip the switch over to control the passenger side mirror, all of it's function work just fine.

Does this sound like a "switch issue" or a "mirror / motor" issue?
    Barry Floyd
    Lebanon, Tennessee
    VIN 3294 - Aug. 81

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Either, OR, or both. Could be as simple as a loose wire to the left side mirror or a dirty contact in the switch. Once you start "digging in" to the problem it may become evident. I would start with the switches in the door.
    David Teitelbaum

I would bet on a mirror/motor issue or loose wire as David has suggested. You could verify that the mirror is not jammed by rocking it back and forth. A jammed mirror will be, well, jammed, and a mirror that has broken its connection to the servo will be overly loose. Compare the movement to the working mirror. If you get to the wiring, you could apply 12 volts to the left/right servo motor to see if it moves. Then check for voltage going to the left/right servo when you operate the adjustment selector. Could, of course, be the left right selector slider switch is not providing full connection to the left side (but works when selected to the right).

Capture.JPG

Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 08-29-2017 at 05:26 PM.

My VIN:    5625

So, I finally gave up trying to rebuild my mirror switch and ended up getting a new one from DMC. However, now I have up and down on both sides but no left or right on either side. Does someone know the pins that need to be jumpered at the plug to test the left and right movement of the mirrors on both sides so I can determine if its the motors in the mirrors that is the issue or the new switch?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    So, I finally gave up trying to rebuild my mirror switch and ended up getting a new one from DMC. However, now I have up and down on both sides but no left or right on either side. Does someone know the pins that need to be jumpered at the plug to test the left and right movement of the mirrors on both sides so I can determine if its the motors in the mirrors that is the issue or the new switch?
    Here are all the movements with pin numbers and wire colors (from the DMC color schematic):

Left Mirror:
    Up/Down – pin 6 (White/Purple) and pin 8 (White/Green)
    In/Out – pin 3 (White/Brown) and pin 11 (White)

Right Mirror:
    Up/Down - pin 6 (White/Purple) and pin 9 (White/Blue)
    In/Out – pin 3 (White/Brown) and pin 10 (White/Red)

So, the left and right (In/Out) movement of the mirrors are shown above. Note that pin 3 is common to both sides for In/Out movement. For example, to test the In/Out movement of the driver (left) side, apply +12 to pin 3 and Ground (Negative) to Pin 11. Verify the mirror moves. Then reverse the polarity and apply +12 to pin 11 and Ground (Negative) to Pin 3, mirror should move the opposite direction. Similarly, use pins 3 and 10 to test the right side mirror In/Out movement.

Delorean Mirror Control.jpg

If the mirrors move as expected then the issue is likely with the mirror power switch. If jumpering results in no movement, suspect wiring, connectors, or mirror motors.

Ron

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Here are all the movements with pin numbers and wire colors (from the DMC color schematic):

Left Mirror:
    Up/Down – pin 6 (White/Purple) and pin 8 (White/Green)
    In/Out – pin 3 (White/Brown) and pin 11 (White)

Right Mirror:
    Up/Down - pin 6 (White/Purple) and pin 9 (White/Blue)
    In/Out – pin 3 (White/Brown) and pin 10 (White/Red)

So, the left and right (In/Out) movement of the mirrors are shown above. Note that pin 3 is common to both sides for In/Out movement. For example, to test the In/Out movement of the driver (left) side, apply +12 to pin 3 and Ground (Negative) to Pin 11. Verify the mirror moves. Then reverse the polarity and apply +12 to pin 11 and Ground (Negative) to Pin 3, mirror should move the opposite direction. Similarly, use pins 3 and 10 to test the right side mirror In/Out movement.

Delorean Mirror Control.jpg

If the mirrors move as expected then the issue is likely with the mirror power switch. If jumpering results in no movement, suspect wiring, connectors, or mirror motors.

Ron
    Thanks for the reply. I tested the pins and do have left right on both sides. Darn, I must of got a bad switch from DMC... has anyone else had a problem with the new Saab like DMC mirror switches?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I tested the pins and do have left right on both sides. Darn, I must of got a bad switch from DMC... has anyone else had a problem with the new Saab like DMC mirror switches?
    Please sell me your OEM switch?