FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My take on Lower control arm brace

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

My take on Lower control arm brace

I wanted to put a traditional set on my car for ever. I just could not see spending so much money for some bent SS and a couple bushings. At least will tools and skills to build my own. So I thought I would share the progress of how my arms are coming out.

My idea was to make these adjustable with a center turnbuckle so that I could get not only the control arm where it needed to be but to also have the ability to ad a bit of caster angle by pushing the lower ball joint forward. Obviously it can not go much but when talking in Deg a little goes a long way.
    Just like others before I plan to use the same two mounting points. Rear control arm bolt and the lower shock bolt. The tubes are currently way too long but I need to find the angle from rear bolt to front bolt before I can cut the radius and tig weld them together.
    0829171026_HDR_resized.jpg

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Just my 2 cents..but if its supposed to be a brace, having that bit in the middle seems like a weak point where it would want to bend and possibly break under pressure.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    03572

The other adjustable links I've seen were built with larger components. I don't know the loads that arm sees.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

This is at least a billion times stronger than the control arm . hahah The center tube is actually .2360 thick and overall diameter is 1.00. The center turn buckle is grade 9 and the thread length is 1.75 long and fully tapped into the tube for full depth. You would have far worse issues if you bent this. lol Unlike the Z bent SS braces everyone gets 4-500$ for this carries the load directly from point to point completely eliminating any flex. Here are a few more pictures showing its construction. 0830170813_HDR_resized.jpg0830170813a_HDR_resized.jpg0830170814_HDR_resized.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    The other adjustable links I've seen were built with larger components. I don't know the loads that arm sees.
    Well considering it has nothing at all right now, and is completely relying on the sway bar to keep the arm straight the loads cant be too great.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Will F. View Post
    Well considering it has nothing at all right now, and is completely relying on the sway bar to keep the arm straight the loads cant be too great.
    Are these for the front or back? I was assuming these are the rear lower control arms.`111
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

This is at least a billion times stronger than the control arm .
    A Billion?

Are you planning to put these on both sides of the control arm or just one?

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Are these for the front or back? I was assuming these are the rear lower control arms.`111
    My plan is to put them on the rear of the front control arms. Since most of the load is pushing the arm back. I believe the arm sees very little forward deflection unless doing some extreme reverse maneuvers. While driving forward just the drag along is probably moving the control arm back, this is what gives this car so much bump steer.
    While

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    A Billion?

Are you planning to put these on both sides of the control arm or just one?
    Yes , One Billionnnnnnnnn hahah Obviously not but I wanted to make it sound grand.

I plan to just put one on ear side on the rear of the front control arm. I don't see the advantage of both sides. Most modern control arms ( although much wider) are only mounted at two points in a triangular fashion. This is still going to have the sway bar mounted is the factory location. but like I said I don't believe this sees extreme loads. I mean how hard can you really push a car with 90 WHP .

My VIN:    1710

My plan is to put them on the rear of the front control arms. Since most of the load is pushing the arm back. I believe the arm sees very little forward deflection unless doing some extreme reverse maneuvers. While driving forward just the drag along is probably moving the control arm back, this is what gives this car so much bump steer.
    While
    The deflection between braking & acceleration is pretty eye opening:

Last edited by louielouie2000; 08-30-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Louie Golden

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast