FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: My take on Lower control arm brace

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Will F. View Post
    At this point I would probably be easier to just make a custom lower control arm, and use the outer points of the original lower control arm mounting. That way there is a true triangular set up, and would achieve none of this arching that is cause by the sway bars attachment style.
    This is exactly what Rob Grady's car is running. Prototype, triangulated LCAs from Legend Industries. Basically an upper control arm that has been cut, and then welded to a cut lower control arm.

See photos here:
    http://photos.grenexmedia.com/Events...al/i-MvpQfff/A
    http://photos.grenexmedia.com/Events...al/i-j2ZVWkP/A
    http://photos.grenexmedia.com/Events...al/i-272F3NT/A
    http://photos.grenexmedia.com/Events...al/i-d3465Sb/A
    http://photos.grenexmedia.com/Events...al/i-6Jp3CwK/A
    http://photos.grenexmedia.com/Events...al/i-tMD38N9/A
    http://photos.grenexmedia.com/Events...al/i-rLKmQpV/A
    Last edited by Patrick C; 09-01-2017 at 09:29 AM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

At this point I would probably be easier to just make a custom lower control arm, and use the outer points of the original lower control arm mounting. That way there is a true triangular set up, and would achieve none of this arching that is cause by the sway bars attachment style.
    that is the plan!

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    03579

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Ive been thinking of this all weekend. The argument was made that the arm needs to move in an arc to prevent any extra stress. But if you look at the way the lower control arm is mounted it is a long bushing in the rear. If indead it is moving in a arch that means that that fixed bushing is also being pushed a pulled on. This just proves the poor design in the front suspension. If your truly worried about the slight arch the control arm is making in what is prob less than +2 -2 inches from center then any of the braces being sold are not going to work. I stand behind my thought that A custom lower A-arm needs to be fabricated to triangulate the setup and a sway bar mount with an endlink of sorts.

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

I stand behind my thought that A custom lower A-arm needs to be fabricated to triangulate the setup and a sway bar mount with an endlink of sorts.
    100% agreed - I would love to see a proper true lower wishbone developed with a modern mounting point method such as a drop link for a sway bar, rather than trying to develop bolt on solutions for the existing setup, which is always going to have to have compromises.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

While the design of the front suspension leaves a lot to be desired, it was designed with a basic goal in mind. The frame and suspension was designed by Lotus Engineering and their motto is "add lightness". They always try to make every part do at least 2 things. If you think the front suspension on a Delorean is bad you should see how they did the rear suspension on an early Lotus. They used the half-shaft as the lower control arm! It's not too bad until things get worn. When that happens it gives the car some peculiar driving characteristics! For a street car the front suspension is not that bad. Ever watch the wings flex on an airplane during flight? They move up and down and twist a LOT! Inspect the front suspension for worn, loose, missing, or broken parts. Makes sure the flange on the edge of the lower control arm is not bent or all banged or bent up. Make sure you have complied with the recalls. If you are tracking the car you may want to consider some kind of upgrade to the front suspension but if you are driving on the street what the car came with is adequate.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    While the design of the front suspension leaves a lot to be desired, it was designed with a basic goal in mind. The frame and suspension was designed by Lotus Engineering and their motto is "add lightness". They always try to make every part do at least 2 things. If you think the front suspension on a Delorean is bad you should see how they did the rear suspension on an early Lotus. They used the half-shaft as the lower control arm! It's not too bad until things get worn. When that happens it gives the car some peculiar driving characteristics! For a street car the front suspension is not that bad. Ever watch the wings flex on an airplane during flight? They move up and down and twist a LOT! Inspect the front suspension for worn, loose, missing, or broken parts. Makes sure the flange on the edge of the lower control arm is not bent or all banged or bent up. Make sure you have complied with the recalls. If you are tracking the car you may want to consider some kind of upgrade to the front suspension but if you are driving on the street what the car came with is adequate.
    The frequently occurring broken lower control arms would disagree with you.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    The frequently occurring broken lower control arms would disagree with you.
    After 30 + years you would expect things to start breaking. We also don't know the history on all of the ones that broke. There could be other influencing factors like it got bent from improper towing, a previous accident, striking a parking bumper or other road hazard, etc. That is why I said it should be inspected along with all of the rest of the suspension. We have seen TAB's break. Does that mean we should redesign the rear suspension? IMHO a good through preventative program should catch most things before they fail. That starts with getting the car into the best shape you can. Keep up with maintenance and do yearly inspections. I doubt most owners can say they do that so it should be no surprise things break. You worry about the lower control arm. I would worry more about a rotten frame that the LCA attaches to! That is a much larger and more common problem. Or brake fluid that looks like old gear oil. Or tires over 10 years old. Point is there are other, more common problems to fix that most owners are oblivious to.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3