FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Expo vs. DeLorean weekend? If you could choose one...

My VIN:    10907

Back to the topic of car judging, IDK how feasible it would be to measure but maybe a better standard for the daily driver category would be mileage per year. Like, my car has fairly low miles because it spent 25 years in a coma but it's a reliable driver now and I've put 1/3 of its miles on it since buying it a year ago.

Just some food for thought...

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    Back to the topic of car judging, IDK how feasible it would be to measure but maybe a better standard for the daily driver category would be mileage per year. Like, my car has fairly low miles because it spent 25 years in a coma but it's a reliable driver now and I've put 1/3 of its miles on it since buying it a year ago.

Just some food for thought...
    That is much more interesting than judging. The first year could be your verification/ baseline year. Each successive year you could compete for recognition based on your use. Log books can be taken into account if necessary. It encourages use of the cars. I enjoyed the mileage awards in the old DW magazines.

My VIN:    6585

Mileage awards would be great. I love the idea of having an owner put their money where their mouth is so to speak. Not to mention it encourages use of the cars. As of right now though, the question of course is in regards to the logistics of it all for actually being able to verify those miles to deter cheating. That's the catch. Having said that however, I'm all ears for ideas on this for verifiable sources here. Likewise I also don't want us to be too intrusive when it comes to an owner's private information such as this.

One of the other proposed restrictions of course for Daily Driver categories would be that owners who have license plates which enforce mileage restrictions and/or emissions exemptions in areas which the vehicles would otherwise be subject to such testing would be disqualified from competition. Because of course those specialty plates are not meant for daily driver use.

Ideas?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Mileage awards would be great. I love the idea of having an owner put their money where their mouth is so to speak. Not to mention it encourages use of the cars. As of right now though, the question of course is in regards to the logistics of it all for actually being able to verify those miles to deter cheating. That's the catch. Having said that however, I'm all ears for ideas on this for verifiable sources here. Likewise I also don't want us to be too intrusive when it comes to an owner's private information such as this.

One of the other proposed restrictions of course for Daily Driver categories would be that owners who have license plates which enforce mileage restrictions and/or emissions exemptions in areas which the vehicles would otherwise be subject to such testing would be disqualified from competition. Because of course those specialty plates are not meant for daily driver use.

Ideas?
    I'm not attending either event so throw this all out if you want, but a mileage journal is good enough. Rules of Evidence place a great deal of credibility on journals because the kind of people who maintain them are usually diligent and not given to lying to themselves. Now if you want to falsify hundreds of entries of when you went somewhere, what you did and how many miles you went, just in the name of winning a $3 trophy and a mention in a magazine, you deserve some sort of award anyway.

Mileage restrictions and emissions have nothing to do with anything. Many special use plates laws deal with the kind of use, not necessarily mileage restrictions. In my jurisdictions, they specifically say it's not for primary transportation, and specifically not to-and-from work. Aside from that you can rack up as many miles as you please. Anyway, I don't give a crap. That's between you, the government, the tax man and your priest. You could, I suppose install confessionals at DOA events for violators to unburden themselves, or invite EPA officials to look at all the engine swaps and emissions violations. That'd be a hoot and a holler!

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Well even easier, and would be up to the owners if they wanted to participate, but once you have the baseling (odometer reading at a given time), then after that it'd be easy to get that..just look at the number again. No need for a journal or that. Im restoring mine to be a daily driver, though not sure how many miles I'll put in a year..hehe.

But you could set up a thing where the folks who wanted to participate could fill out something and give the odometer reading and snapshot of their dash...that would give you a baseline...then at the events where you'd have these awards, you'd just look at the odometer itself and compare to the reading before it.

There should be some fun awards....cause I doubt I'd ever win a 'best resto' award....though, maybe oddest things done or something like that. Weirdest interior? (I'd consider plaid seats if i could win that one)...
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Well even easier, and would be up to the owners if they wanted to participate, but once you have the baseling (odometer reading at a given time), then after that it'd be easy to get that..just look at the number again. No need for a journal or that. Im restoring mine to be a daily driver, though not sure how many miles I'll put in a year..hehe.

But you could set up a thing where the folks who wanted to participate could fill out something and give the odometer reading and snapshot of their dash...that would give you a baseline...then at the events where you'd have these awards, you'd just look at the odometer itself and compare to the reading before it.
    I don't necessarily think a journal is necessary either, just that it could be acceptable in lieu of a broken angle drive. I can't believe mine still works. It's on my death pool though.
    Last edited by SamHill; 09-05-2017 at 07:02 AM.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Iznodmad View Post
    <snip> In my opinion, there has been a steady decline in the desire to prep and display/show a concourse car. Yes, there is a manual to follow and such...but nobody really wants to do it anymore. This was apparent with zero entries of that type or even an offering for such at the last DCS. <snip>
    The offer was made to the Concours committee to have a Concours Event at DCS 2016. See discussion in thread listed below:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?12...CS-2016)/page5

In my opinion, DCS 2016 was one of the best locations for a Concours Event, especially with the indoor, air-conditioned car display area
    that many owners took advantage of, instead of having to detail their cars outdoors in 95 degree heat (even if in parking garage shade).
    I know Marty (from Canada) had a much easier time detailing his award winning DeLorean in the indoor, air-conditioned convention hall
    (over a few days), since the indoor parking was available to all DeLoreans from early Thursday morning to late morning on Sunday.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    <snip> I don't even know the last time something was in the Northwest, and I think that the farthest southeast DCS went (and correct me if I'm wrong here) was Pigeon Forge. <snip>
    DeLorean Car Show (DCS 2012) at Hilton Orlando, Lake Buena Vista, FL

My VIN:    10907

I wasn't sure what to expect from the Expo, but I had fun. Everybody was really friendly and nice. A lot of the people there had owned their cars since the 80s, but there was one older gent who had just gotten his a couple months ago so I wasn't even the newest n00b there, lol. I hope the next DOA event works out better timing-wise in relation to local group activities so that more people can attend without feeling like they have to pick one or the other.

My VIN:    10588

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I would love to see photos of the show!
    -Luigi-
    Thank you ALL for your patience and your tremendous help!

1982 VIN#10588 Build Date Dec '81

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast