FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Expo vs. DeLorean weekend? If you could choose one...

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You're welcome. I guess I'm one of the few that enjoy the judging and awards. I believe it can be done and enjoyed by all without the "looking down" or negativity that was eluded to. Is this going to be true for all Expo events moving forward or is that not known yet?

My VIN:    6585

Good question.

No, the judging will return for future Expo shows. This is meant to be more of a casual social right now. The reason I mention the lack of negative competition is because that's something that I've heard offline as a complaint from some about past DOA concourse events; the smug superiority. That is something that I personally do not want. I am of the same mind here. I think that competitions can indeed be very valuable. For instance with Concourse it presents the opportunity to see specimen cars as they should have appeared from the factory. Likewise it also allows you to appreciate the variances in production, and respective oddities. Textured pontoons, outlined A/C panels, shifters, etc. I mean hell, not even I realized for a few years that I had mismatched wheels. And did you know that there are two kinds of spare tire wheels? Two kinds of dashboard VIN plates? It says "DMC-12" stamped into your muffler? Things like that are in my opinion good things to know, and very fascinating. Of course if this truly interests you, I highly suggest you start volunteering with Concourse in order to become an officiated judge.

Now this is also a good opportunity to bring something else up here. And that is new classifications of car judging. Concourse for example is great for when it comes to educating you as a buyer on what a proper concourse car should be. But we really don't have that for the rest of the cars, now do we? Sure we have some buyers guides, and that's great! But I want something more hands-on for an in-person example to help take the mystery out of buying a DeLorean.

I've drafted a list of these new classifications. This is something that I was planning on introducing in a future magazine article, but I'll give you a sneak peak here. I want everyone's opinion here on this as well. I'll avoid a long post with all of the minutiae for each category, but this is what I am proposing for the community:

Concourse
    You know it, you love it. Doesn't change, but keep it in mind.

Daily Driver
    Minimum 60K miles on odometer. Vehicle must be improved for reliability. I.e. 3-core radiators, fresh shock absorbers, silicone or new hoses, etc. Bluetooth radio for hands-free operation, fresh spare tire. Drivetrain swaps are prohibited! Vehicle must retain stock external appearance with exemptions for CHMSL, fog lights, & minimal ground effects. Approved lowering kits OK. Turbos & superchargers OK, but must be stock 2.8L PRV power plant.

Modified/Custom.
    Drivetrain swaps, modified suspension like airbags. Custom bodywork allowed (i.e. custom sheetmetal, fender flares, etc.)

Daily Driver - Painted
    Same as above, but allows for painted cars.

Modified/Custom - Painted
    Same as above, but allows for painted cars.

Time Machines
    BTTF Replica Time Machines, and whatever goes into those cars for screen accuracy...

Replica Cars - aka "New Build"
    Tentative category for the new cars DMCH is supposed to be building. Determined by inspection of Federally mandated VIN Plate. As this category grows as cars are produced, it may be split off into sub-categories.

My goal here is to create an guide not just for competition, but for something that current or future owners can aspire to. Particularly if they demand a reliable car. I also want this to improve the desirability of painted and modified cars. Sure, they're not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm tired of painted cars getting dumped on by everyone just automatically assuming they're painted because they've been previously wrecked. They need a chance to be celebrated! Which is why ALL categories should also be subject to collision damage inspections.

Thoughts? Ideas?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Awe dang...Mine wont even qualify for daily driver category as there are only about 55k on the odometer Dont have a 3 core radiator (i think)..hehe.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Awe dang...Mine wont even qualify for daily driver category as there are only about 55k on the odometer Dont have a 3 core radiator (i think)..hehe.
    IKR, I just passed 32k on mine so I've got another few years to go. Maybe if they give out a consolation prize for Most Bugs Smashed on the Front Bumper, LOL...

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Cool ideas and classifications. I hate to destroy the integrity of this thread, and perhaps we should offshoot it in the future. But since the dialogue started, here we go. In my opinion, there has been a steady decline in the desire to prep and display/show a concourse car. Yes, there is a manual to follow and such...but nobody really wants to do it anymore. This was apparent with zero entries of that type or even an offering for such at the last DCS. There seems to be much more acceptance in modifying the cars for greater reliability and usefulness versus years past. I'm not so sure a mileage cutoff is really necessary or even very useful for the classes as we know angle drives and speedo cables are subject to breakage. Also, any chance you would bring the expo back towards the east coast/southeast? Expo historically has been west coast based and DCS now appears more midwestern based. I'd like to see something based more where I'm located. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by DaraSue View Post
    IKR, I just passed 32k on mine so I've got another few years to go. Maybe if they give out a consolation prize for Most Bugs Smashed on the Front Bumper, LOL...
    What about prize for most spiders booted/killed/etc from under the car while sitting? hehe
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    6585

Agreed. We should definitely offshoot this into at least two threads:
    1. Future Expo Locations.
    2. Future Vehicle Classifications.

Mods, please feel free to split this thread accordingly.

Speaking to the first item, underserved areas are definitely a priority for future Expos, and something we're looking at. I don't even know the last time something was in the Northwest, and I think that the farthest southeast DCS went (and correct me if I'm wrong here) was Pigeon Forge. And have we really made things accessible for Canadian owners? So yes, we need to get into those other, more dormant areas. If nothing else, looking at the same things, and driving the same routes gets boring. I mean, I do understand why organizers choose to have things close to them. There is a sense of comfort there. But in reality, we also need to come out of our comfort zone and get to those other areas, like the Southeast as you mentioned. With those father out locations, there is lots more driving to be had, which brings me to...

The second item of Vehicle Classifications. I am not putting down Concourse competitions. I want that to be clear as crystal. As I've always said, they serve a very important role for originality. Plus for the owner that wants more of a challenge, Concourse can certainly offer that by having to chase down rare parts and ensure that things meet a specific standard. Most of all, since the hobby allows to have certified judges, it greatly helps the community overall by creating more knowledgable people that can help spread that expertise across the community. Especially with enthusiasts and new owners entering that may need some guidance to buying a car.

Now having said that, however...

Concourse has two major downfalls in my personal opinion. First, since we only have two configurable options and rely upon production changes for variations, that can lead to less interested people in the topic. Where my concern then becomes a smaller pool of competition, which begets less interest. The second problem is that we've placed all of our focus on Concourse, and in my personal opinion which is mine alone, we've neglected the rest of the marque., As stated, painted cars suffer a nasty stigma with the assumption being that they were only painted due to accident damage. In turn that assumed damage always brings down the value of the car without any real validation. Then we have people who are afraid to even swap out their radio because we've pushed this whole "originality" thing upon them. Which seems like a spreading school of thought that any deviation from the norm is a bad thing, even if it improves the reliability, performance, or safety of the car. That is a huge concern for me.

If we're going to have car shows in more farther locations, we need people's cars to be reliable for those journeys. In order to do that, we need to set a standard for cars to aspire to. Even if a vehicle isn't enlisted as a Daily Driver, if someone wants to drive those distances, they should have a guideline on what to do in order to make their car more reliable to make that trip with piece of mind. The mileage restriction thing is still in flux as simply a proposed item. But it is my belief that we need these kind of categories in order to help build the marque. We raise a standard to which our cars should be held to avoid people buying basket cases that are being passed off as reliable when they clearly are not. That helps increase values for good cars, and yes, depresses them for project cars to help others get into the marque at a more affordable price. And for those cars which have been painted, or modified, we can give them their own recognized legitimacy to help boost perception and value of them as well. If engine swaps become more prevalent in the future due to block rot, or whatever, we can even give them their own category in order to ensure that the swaps were done properly to a community standard, and not half-assed. And if you prefer originality, this further boosts Concourse to clearly define originality and their values.

Most of all, don't forget that the DOA is your club too. We're open to input, and even additional people joining the board to help lend a hand.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Concours = Car judging for originality

Concourse = where you wait to get on your Airplane.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Concours Concourse = Judging cars while you board a plane
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

It can also be the area you walk around at an arena or stadium. I'm fully aware of the difference and can hardly bring myself to change what my phone does on autocorrect half the time because I'm lazy. I'd be way more careful if I was playing words with friends, scrabble, or some other game. Gotta love the grammar nazi people!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast