FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Strange noise, only under load...

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I found the source of the noise.

It was in fact the crossover pipe heatshield on top. And specifically, it was the passenger side half that had one of those two bolts sheared off at the head. Thanks for the suggestions and pictures. The only thing remaining was a tiny bit of the threaded portion, but enough to keep the washer in place. Sort of. The washer wasn't tightened down onto anything, but couldn't just fall off because a bit of the broken bolt had stopped it from coming out on its own. It was plenty loose enough to rattle though... every time you hit the gas.

I got the washer out of there and put a hose clamp on for the time being. That is not a nice area to gain access to from above, so once I get some time to get at it from underneath properly, I'll put a couple hose clamps on and make sure they're good and tight and well centred. In the meantime, it stopped the vibration noise. I went out for about a 30 mile drive and the car drove real nice.

I'd say it was a big relief to get it sorted out, but I wasn't really all that thrilled about it when I finally tracked it down. I probably just muttered asshole to the car as I shut the light off in the garage and went inside.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    No. 4068

At least it'll be a cheap fix!
    RIP Rob van de Veer Top bloke

I say Sir, I must be mad, one loves fixing K-Jet !

Make sure there's plenty in the tank for the weekend chaps....

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

That's great news Jonathan!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4