FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strange noise, only under load...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    3937

Strange noise, only under load...

Ideas welcome...

Within the last couple of weeks I have heard a strange noise coming from over my shoulder when driving the car. It seems like it is coming from somewhere in and around the engine bay.

It has gotten more pronounced in the last few drives and has me wondering/worried more about what is going on.

Here's what I can tell you:

The noise is somewhat of a vibration or rattle. A flutter perhaps. You ever hum or buzz with your lips and if you do it just so, you get a tickle? That's what sense I get with this noise. Maybe metallic, maybe air.
    It comes and goes only while pressing the gas pedal. And repeatable too. It won't make the noise when idling, only when pressing the gas. More so when pressing initially on the gas, or letting it off, but not so much as you settle in on a constant gas pedal pressure.
    I cannot get it to repeat when parked in the garage, only when the car is in motion.

Makes me think it is RPM/load based and perhaps also related to the wheels in motion.

I thought perhaps it was a piece of my muffler heatshield rubbing against the muffler peg as you put the engine under more load. This is kind of what the sound made me think of first, but I looked over the heatshield and I'm not sure this is it. The end I thought could be rubbing, I put a small piece of foam tape just to test and the noise continued.

Next thought was a fuel injector seal leaking as I thought perhaps the noise was air rushing by in some manner. A fellow owner mentioned that since it happens only under load and not at idle, that's the opposite time to when you might hear an injector seal leaking, i.e. more likely at idle and not under load when the vacuum is stronger. I don't smell much fuel in the engine bay either. Not strong anyway, faint every so often perhaps but not super noticeable.

I stopped by a shop to talk to the guy about some work on my Pontiac and asked him his thoughts on the noise. He asked me whether it does the noise when stationary versus moving as I hadn't tried that yet. I did the test and I could not get the noise to repeat when sitting in one spot, only while moving. He mentioned how if the rear differential was quite low on oil, it might be subjecting the "roller bearings" to wear and that noise could be them wearing out. I'm not familiar with the internals of the rear differential, but since the noise only happens when moving, I agree it's likely related to the wheels in motion and not an idle engine. That might rule out the A/C belt or idler pulleys going bad. It might also be the alternator giving up if the bearings in it are going bad, but again, since it will not do the noise parked, I am thinking the rear diff idea might be the source.

Does any of that sound familiar to any of you? Any other ideas of what this could be or where it might be coming from? Any ideas for tests to do?

I can pull the A/C belt off pretty easily to rule that out if needed. I could even remove the muffler heatshield and all the brackets temporarily to see if it matters.

I can also see about opening up the fill port on the rear diff and checking the level. I have not checked this recently, not since refilling perhaps 3 seasons ago. Likely from the poor access to the fill port. Poor excuse, yes, but that's the truth. My car has been dripping some oil for a while, but have not been able to determine exactly where it is coming from. It is reddish but not pink like ATF. My ATF cooler hoses don't appear to leak and neither does my auto trans pan or dipstick. The drips that come appear right under the frame cross member which others have labelled as a main seal leak on the engine. Engine oil level has been fine each time I check it via the dipstick. Same for the ATF level via dipstick. Car is shifting fine and the performance has been good all season. If this noise wasn't there, you wouldn't suspect a single thing is wrong with the car at all.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Is it loud enough that you could possibly record in the car while driving?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Is it loud enough that you could possibly record in the car while driving?
    I can try doing that. I have a couple other places to check on spots things might be rubbing against each other as well. It's almost like when you stand on the gas a little and the engine "flexes" under that big PRV power, something just comes into contact with another nearby surface and rubs/rattles and then stops once you ease off the gas. Not sure that's what is going on, but it's along those lines.

My VIN:    03572

I had a buzzing sound come and go a few years ago and it sounded like it was coming from the drivers side door (left shoulder). Never could pin point it with any conditions. I've not heard it since. I actually forgot about it so not sure if anything I've fixed took care of it. I really think it was some wind noise in the top of the door.

Come to think of it, I did remove my top door seal because it would always fold over and push the T panel up when the door was closed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I have found one fastener not in place on my muffler heatshield.

If you look at the right hand side lower bracket... http://store.delorean.com/p-6469-bra...rh-recond.aspx

See the rectangular extension sticking out sort of on its own? It corresponds to a hole in the heatshield that's sort of in the middle... and not exactly accessible to get a bolt through to thread into the nut that's welded onto the bracket... because there's a muffler in the way!! Who thinks this stuff up??

Anyway, that slim rectangular section of bracket is all that is keeping the right side of the heatshield secured to the bracket, otherwise this "flap" could be the culprit for my vibrating noise. Maybe. Who knows. I put some double sided 3M tape on it to go for a test drive to see if that changes anything. Although getting a bolt back into place on the heatshield wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Ok, so it isn't that extension of heatshield not well secured to the bracket. At least the attempt to stick the two together and stop them from vibrating didn't change the noise.

I did not yet get a chance to record it, but it's still there. Since it is so correlated to the accelerator being pressed, I am thinking it's possible it's related to one of the moving pieces in the fuel system. Like the idle speed motor rotating or the fuel distributor stem going up and down. Maybe one of those is sticking or whining or something and making this whistle noise business. I kept it in mostly the neighborhood on this last test drive and the noise is more pronounced when you are easing/coasting towards a stop sign and then give it some gas just to get you up to the line. Like if it is idling and then you give it a bit more gas at that low speed, the noise is louder, like this is a spot where something is working harder to do whatever it is doing.

Man these cars are silly. Fubar.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

That actually does sound like a vibrating heat shield. Like the one attached to the crossover pipe. Its not gear whine.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Cat heat shield? Heat shield on the cross-over pipe? Check those.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Differential noise is a higher-pitched whine. What kind of tires do you have on the car, i.e. brand/size/miles?
    Tires are Dunlop GT Qualifier (on all four). Standard DeLorean sizes. Dates codes are from late 2006. Been on the car the entire time I've owned it (Fall 2007). About 12,500 miles that I have driven on them and not likely much more than that since they were new (probably bought by place that was selling the car then).

What noise ideas come to mind with respect to the tires?

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    That actually does sound like a vibrating heat shield. Like the one attached to the crossover pipe. Its not gear whine.
    Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Cat heat shield? Heat shield on the cross-over pipe? Check those.
    Glad to hear the consensus isn't gear whine. When I listen to that audio myself (on the computer and not while driving), it almost sounds like one of those idiotic fast and furious attempts and the guy's exhaust is rattling up against something. I'm leaning towards the crossover pipe heatshield too and will check it in the morning. Wanted to let the engine get cold tonight before reaching in and around there making sure things are secure.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I asked about tires because some tires (especially the older blockier treads, and Goodyears) tend to get noisy with age. But that wouldn't change with acceleration/deceleration, only road speed.

Heat shield is, on paper, hard to fix "properly" and a common rusty-car problem. Luckily it's easy to fix "improperly" with a couple of well-placed hose clamps.

The heat shield is attached the crossover pipe in two pieces with several bolts that are, at this point, welded into bungs on the crossover pipe. You'd have to remove the pipe for access (it is held to the manifolds and converter with a few more guaranteed to break rusty bolts/studs). Rust isn't always an issue, but on your particular car, and most northern climate cars, it will be.

I couldn't tell much from the audio file, but it occurs to me that you may be hearing the very early beginnings of exhaust manifold gasket failure. In the begging they are only noisy on acceleration, but won't be noisy revving the engine with no load. It will get worse over time. In that case, at some point you'll have the crossover off the car. This is commonly misdiagnosed as noisy valve rockers BTW.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast