FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cooling system (Fans working, but still showing hot)

My VIN:    6989

Cooling system (Fans working, but still showing hot)

I noticed lately, that while driving, my DMC-12 has no issues with the cooling system keeping the engine cool. However, when I'm parked or not moving (engine still running), I hear my cooling fans kick on, but my temperature gauge still rises ever so slowly while they're working. Then, when I get to moving again (not very fast, 1st or 2nd gear), the gauge drops back to the preferred temperature (about 180) within seconds. No difference when my A/C is on or off. What's going on?

My VIN:    03572

Verify both fans are working. Have not heard of anyone having a fan get weak. Also I assume your alternator is working fine.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Check a few things. As bitsyncmaster said, make sure both (2) fans are working. Make sure they are both sucking air in from the radiator and blowing out the back towards the gas tank. Make sure the fans are firmly attached to the motor shafts. Make sure there is NOTHING obstructing the inlet grill like a license plate, leaves, etc. Bleed the radiator by pressurizing the system and loosening the small hose on the top, right side to let any air out. If you still have the original rad with plastic tanks, you should replace it. Make sure the header tank is 1/2 full when the motor is cold. Make sure the coolant is nice and green, protects to -40 and is not over 5 years old. Examine the fan fail relay bypass jumpers for any signs of overheating. Make sure you have the up-rated cooing fan circuit breaker.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxn83 View Post
    I noticed lately, that while driving, my DMC-12 has no issues with the cooling system keeping the engine cool. However, when I'm parked or not moving (engine still running), I hear my cooling fans kick on, but my temperature gauge still rises ever so slowly while they're working. Then, when I get to moving again (not very fast, 1st or 2nd gear), the gauge drops back to the preferred temperature (about 180) within seconds. No difference when my A/C is on or off. What's going on?
    I had some weird issues with temperature, and I found out the problem was my radiator, really dirty on the inside! I had to replace cause it was leaking too. So far, solved!

Fernando Silotto. Sao Paulo - Brazil
    Delorean Vin 3772

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Can you bring the temperature down by blasting the heat? Do you run an auto bleeder?
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Have you used an infrared thermometer gun to verify the actual coolant temp? It isn't rare for the temp gauge on the dash to show incorrect readings.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Have you used an infrared thermometer gun to verify the actual coolant temp? It isn't rare for the temp gauge on the dash to show incorrect readings.
    While it is true the temperature gauge can be inaccurate, in this case he said in his first post the temps do go down if he is moving. This would indicate that while the gauge may not read accurately, it at least is responding to hotter and cooler so it does mean things are hotter when he is not moving. Because the fans are so much more important when you are not moving that would lead one to believe that there is some kind of problem with the fans. When the fans come on, the temp should stop rising and begin to drop just as if he started moving. IMHO this is not an instrumentation problem.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

IMHO it very well could be.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    4941

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Can you bring the temperature down by blasting the heat? Do you run an auto bleeder?
    I am sure that blasting heat will lower engine temp. (as long as water pump is working and thermostat is open, and there is coolant........ and heater core is not plugged up).

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Couple of things.
    The car moving could contribute to a quicker cool-down due to more air moving across the radiator... OR... The increased RPMs is sending more power to the fans causing them to turn faster (or more appropriately, the correct speed) and thereby cooling the engine faster. I've noticed my cabin fan speeds up when the engine RPMs increase.

Cheers
    Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast