FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Lower temp otterstat?

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Lower temp otterstat?

Has anyone ever found a lower temp otter state for bringing the fans on sooner? I ask because the motor I am put in will run quite a bit hotter, so I will be using a 160Tstat. Useless if they fans don't get activated sooner.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

I know Hervey sells them. The hot climate otterstat turns on at 196 and off at 185 compared to the OE which turns on at 207 and off at 196. All are +/- 5 degrees. Priced at $18.95

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Has anyone ever found a lower temp otter state for bringing the fans on sooner? I ask because the motor I am put in will run quite a bit hotter, so I will be using a 160Tstat. Useless if they fans don't get activated sooner.
    It's not what you're asking for but the best I know of is Intermotor 50171 which switches the fans on at 197 degrees f and off at 188 degrees f, a little lower than the stock otterstat.

image.jpg

Temp range listed in the image is in degrees c.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Toby @ DPNW sells an adjustable otterstat with a potentiometer control you can mount on the firewall which allows you to really tweak your fans to your liking. Might be worth checking out.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Toby @ DPNW sells an adjustable otterstat with a potentiometer control you can mount on the firewall which allows you to really tweak your fans to your liking. Might be worth checking out.
    That looks like it's along the right lines, still a little higher than what has been asked for, but better than the one I found. Looks like the dpnw unit is adjustable between 180 degrees f to 240 degrees f
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    03572

I have a DMC otterstat marked at 96/88 deg. I was after a higher one (backup for my electronic otterstat) so I ordered one from Hervey but he sent me one marked 92/87. Hervey said he was out of the higher unit so he sent me one he had.

I've been running my electronic otterstat for a while now. Only thing I'm really not sure of is if I've set the buzzer temps to close to the fan on temps. So far (about 6 errand trips) I have not had the buzzer sound off. This is just software anyway, which I can reprogram after the units are built.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10270

Before buying the stuff for Megasquirt, I was going to chop out the stock otterstat pipe and put one of these in:

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Temp.../dp/B00FY30KGW

You can find threaded fan switches in a whole range of temps. Stock fan triggers off of 12v so a wiring change required but NBD if you're doing a motor swap.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    I have one for my car and love it. It's a great upgrade to the car. Not long after buying my car I noticed my fans no longer turned on. It turned out that the brass housing of my switch had actually developed a crack. I noticed a coolant dribble also. I decided to wash my hands of the original otterstat and get something more reliable. Toby's switch uses a thermocouple probe that is inserted in the coolant pipe.

However, the switch manufacture decided to make a design change without telling him. This effectivly "broke" compatibly with our cars. The manufacturer would not cooperate, so Toby was able to aquire all the remaining stock of original switches. Call and see if he still has some.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California