FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Refurbing a Very Early A/C System

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    I still have to replace that tape after my a/c box resto, but I don' t rembember if it was just around the pipes or around the whole #105847 seal, can you point me in the right direction? Thanks!
    Sure, for clarity, I was referring to the black duct tape that was around the outermost seal, not the gooey no-drip tape (106781) that was still present and in good shape on my car.

Originally there was only one piece basically on the top of the seal, but I cut pieces to fit in between the pipes as much as possible and followed that with tape around the circumference of the seal. Like so:

Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Nice write up! For others that might be reading this, you can use argon for pressure test. It is dry like nitrogen and you might be more likely to have it around. (if you weld) It's more expensive, but you won't be using much.

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Nice write up! For others that might be reading this, you can use argon for pressure test. It is dry like nitrogen and you might be more likely to have it around. (if you weld) It's more expensive, but you won't be using much.
    Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Any inert pressurized gas will do. Nitrogen is cheap and is what is used by A/C guys. In a pinch you can use dry pressurized air but the idea of Nitrogen is that because it is so highly pressurized, all the moisture is "squeezed" out of it.
    David Teitelbaum

By the way, I should give a status update:

At this time, which is 3 plus years since the refurb, this 40 year old system is still keeping the car cool. No top ups were necessary in the meantime.
    Dana

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Any inert pressurized gas will do. Nitrogen is cheap and is what is used by A/C guys. In a pinch you can use dry pressurized air but the idea of Nitrogen is that because it is so highly pressurized, all the moisture is "squeezed" out of it.
    Yea, I use to have a nitro bottle when I did refridge work. I was not in the business, but I got the license because I did so much refridge work on my wife's restaurant/bar. You can't believe how many units there are in one restaurant/bar.

It is the cheapest inert gas. I had a project where I needed to weld stainless tube. It's best to "back purge" tube with argon when welding on the outside. So I got the nitro bottle filled with argon and had a seperate line to the inside of the tube. After that job, I was welding a stainless fuel tank. Same thing applied about the back purge. Ever since, I've kept it charged with argon. It's nice to have a backup bottle for welding because argon always seems to run out right in the middle of a welding project.

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    ... the piston & swashplate assembly... Although Sanden says the piston assembly cannot be refurbished ( i.e. rings, etc)
    As a former Sanden Compressor Application Engineer and Lab Manager...: Correct, the piston rings are non-replaceable. And to be really picky... the SD compressors use wobble plates, not swash plates. Awesome work Dana!
    VR6 engine (367 rwhp/377 ftlb); Type T4 turbo; A/R=0.70/0.68; Air-to-air intercooler, Megasquirt MS3 Pro, Manual tranny w/ HD output shaft; Remote mounted oil filter.
    Adjustable dampers and ride height springs from QA1/DriveStainless; SS triangulated LCA brackets, boxed in LCAs, PU bushings, ventilated front brake rotors - all from DMCEU; UCAs with -3 deg camber from Reid Performance; 15" rear rims x 4
    http://deloreanvr6conversion.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    As a former Sanden Compressor Application Engineer and Lab Manager...: Correct, the piston rings are non-replaceable. And to be really picky... the SD compressors use wobble plates, not swash plates. Awesome work Dana!
    Thanks Henrik!
    Dana

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7