FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Roof box repair questions.

My VIN:    16795

Roof box repair questions.

My door replacement project has turned into a roof box repair project. Who could have guessed?

The roof box has some rust but appears to be structurally sound. I was thinking of cutting a large access hole in the top to make it easy to clean and paint the inside, and then rather than welding a plate back put rivnuts around the perimeter of the hole and bolt a plate down. This way the access panel can be removed in the future, and I don't have to rely on my not so great welding skills. Is there any reason not to do this?

The parts manual (and roof box pictures I've seen) show rivnuts for attaching the door wiring cover plates. On my roof box instead there appears to be square nuts welded to the inside of the roof box. This is an issue because the screws are completely rusted to the nuts and need to be drilled out. I was going to install new rivnuts, but given the tight access inside the box it's not clear to me how to get the old welded nuts out.
    IMG_20221109_214759.jpg
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I suppose I could try drilling out the rest of the screws and retaping the holes.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    My door replacement project has turned into a roof box repair project. Who could have guessed?

The roof box has some rust but appears to be structurally sound. I was thinking of cutting a large access hole in the top to make it easy to clean and paint the inside, and then rather than welding a plate back put rivnuts around the perimeter of the hole and bolt a plate down. This way the access panel can be removed in the future, and I don't have to rely on my not so great welding skills. Is there any reason not to do this?

The parts manual (and roof box pictures I've seen) show rivnuts for attaching the door wiring cover plates. On my roof box instead there appears to be square nuts welded to the inside of the roof box. This is an issue because the screws are completely rusted to the nuts and need to be drilled out. I was going to install new rivnuts, but given the tight access inside the box it's not clear to me how to get the old welded nuts out.
    IMG_20221109_214759.jpg
    Does anyone have any suggestions? I suppose I could try drilling out the rest of the screws and retaping the holes.
    Remove the top access hatch, and use Eastwood interior frame coating - it comes with a long flexible straw, so you should be able to get into all the nooks and crannies. That'll kick the can down the
    road a ways. Use also in the engine cradle and inside the front frame extension.

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Toby was recommending Boeshield: https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Cor...40818636&psc=1

I'm going to try it for a few things

Quote Originally Posted by mhanch View Post
    Toby was recommending Boeshield: https://www.amazon.com/BOESHIELD-Cor...40818636&psc=1

I'm going to try it for a few things
    Or, Woolwax: https://www.woolwaxusa.com/

The woolwax excels in enclosed areas like the roof box. If you paint it with the interior frame paint, it can peel away after some time since there are so many wires inside the roof box, makes it impossible to get the steel properly coated with the paint. The woolwax is a waxy lanolin that is "self healing" and sticks to everything and provides a better flow.

I've used and have recommended the Eastwood internal frame paint for a number of years, but only for the internal chassis where there aren't any obstructions like wire harnesses such as in the roof box.

My VIN:    03430

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

IMG_20221109_214759.jpg
    I think you'll be retaping the holes. don't be afraid to upsize if you have to. it's just a closing plate.

As for cutting more holes... it wouldn't be detrimental to the structure if you made it about the same size and location as the rear one, but towards the front of the box. But, like others have pointed out, you're better off sticking with the one hole and using the products mentioned. make sure you vacuum out all the rust chips!