FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Bracket Availability

I should note I did the same thing you're doing when I upgraded to angel eyes, which have since been swapped out once or twice already. Buckets got cut, they're really only there to fully support the stock headlights, and if you're not using them...

Might be worthwhile to try and fabricate your own buckets and brackets. Don't know what the "mistake" you refer to is, did you not get two sets? I can't imagine it would look good at all with just one set of headlights swapped.

As long as no screw holes are touched, and everything is still solid enough to not bend, you're fine. There's a TON of metal that can come out without sacrificing anything really. (As for part value, I wouldn't bother worrying about it. It's not a commonly requested part, and there's enough parts cars out there to grab one from if you screw up too badly).

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I should note I did the same thing you're doing when I upgraded to angel eyes, which have since been swapped out once or twice already. Buckets got cut, they're really only there to fully support the stock headlights, and if you're not using them...

Might be worthwhile to try and fabricate your own buckets and brackets. Don't know what the "mistake" you refer to is, did you not get two sets? I can't imagine it would look good at all with just one set of headlights swapped.

As long as no screw holes are touched, and everything is still solid enough to not bend, you're fine. There's a TON of metal that can come out without sacrificing anything really. (As for part value, I wouldn't bother worrying about it. It's not a commonly requested part, and there's enough parts cars out there to grab one from if you screw up too badly).
    The mistake I made is not realizing that the low beam and high beam buckets are actually different. There is a larger notch in the upper left corner of the high beam for it to sit in. Didn't make much overall difference but I had to widen the notch because I ended up mixing up the buckets on the passenger side.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    The mistake I made is not realizing that the low beam and high beam buckets are actually different. There is a larger notch in the upper left corner of the high beam for it to sit in. Didn't make much overall difference but I had to widen the notch because I ended up mixing up the buckets on the passenger side.
    I still don't know that I follow. I went one at a time, making sure the one fit, then moving to the next. But in any case, glad it worked! Got pics of the light output? Been eyeballing LED 4x6 units for a long while, it's hard to find something that looks good on the DeLorean front end though.

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    I still don't know that I follow. I went one at a time, making sure the one fit, then moving to the next. But in any case, glad it worked! Got pics of the light output? Been eyeballing LED 4x6 units for a long while, it's hard to find something that looks good on the DeLorean front end though.
    I had two buckets out at once, so they ended up getting swapped. if you look you'll see a number marked at the top of each bucket.

Pic in this post, left is LED and right is old HID http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...l=1#post224464

Quote Originally Posted by mr_maxime View Post
    I had two buckets out at once, so they ended up getting swapped. if you look you'll see a number marked at the top of each bucket.

Pic in this post, left is LED and right is old HID http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...l=1#post224464
    Ooohhh, okay, I'm with you now.

Sorry, misspoke on the "light output" part, do you have a 3/4 shot from the front? Want to see what they look like installed, but off.

www.delorean.eu

My VIN:    11626

new brackets are on there way

We Delorean Europe
    did start a new production of the L and R headlight bracket.
    They are ready, and in transport the The Netherlands right now.
    In 8 weeks we have 500 sets back on stock.
    The tail lights are next in line.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Ed
    www.delorean.eu

Quote Originally Posted by ed uding View Post
    Meaning? Are you reproducing the OEM ones? If so, request: make versions where the lenses are all clear. Can't convey enough how much I hate the red on mine with my LED bulbs.

EDIT: I should note I bought a completely faded set from a guy in Canada, so there's no amber left, just cloudy aftermath. Always wanted the red gone too.
    Last edited by Shep; 09-19-2017 at 08:28 AM.

My VIN:    6409

Club(s):   (DOC-UK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by ed uding View Post
    We Delorean Europe
    did start a new production of the L and R headlight bracket.
    They are ready, and in transport the The Netherlands right now.
    In 8 weeks we have 500 sets back on stock.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Ed
    www.delorean.eu

That's fantastic news great to hear ed , thanks for the heads up !

Cheers
    Shane
    only from the past can we choose the correct path for the future...

My VIN:    5436

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

What are these made from, Ed? Is it mild steel?

I would love some made from a material that won't rust. I find that paint scrapes off over time and the rust starts again.
    - Martin - VIN 5436 -

My VIN:    11789

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    What are these made from, Ed? Is it mild steel?

I would love some made from a material that won't rust. I find that paint scrapes off over time and the rust starts again.
    he recently put a post on facebook saying that they are NOT stainless steel as the cost was prohibitive.

Mine were pretty much ok - hardly any rust but I had to modify the buckets to fit UK spec H4's.

Red oxide, black paint and a coating of wax should make them last another 35 years .. and by then stainless ones should be available?
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast