FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Alternative Coolant Bottle Caps

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by Domi View Post
    I have the 16PSI version ( bought at Summit) on my car and it works fine
    Do you know the part number for the thermocap?
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I think the Summit number is 2471S for the Thermocap.

FWIW, any cap that crosses over from an AC brand #RC-15 will work.
    Not sure of what you are after, but if its not the aesthetics/novelty, you might want buy a laser temperature gun (which costs less than many of the caps mentioned). Then you can confirm your gauge and use it for a lot of other things.

+1 Luke & Robert...The gauge should show temperature for the head, not the radiator or coolant tank.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I was also going to get the gauge cap but solely because I thought the OE cap looked rubbish. If it's totally asthetics you are after, I grained my cap and painted the recesses. I suppose you could polish it on a buffer for even more flash.

Here is the only good pic I have of it when I was doing my valve clearance adjustment.
    20200311_175546.jpg

A gauge coolant cap would be cool Does someone have a link to a 14, 15, or 16 PSI cap that fits?

Ron
    Last edited by DMC-Ron; 03-14-2021 at 06:09 AM.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    A gauge coolant cap would be cool Does someone have a link to a 14, 15, or 16 PSI cap that fits?

Ron
    Unfortunately something like that wouldn't work. The probe on the gauge wouldn't come in contact with the coolant.
    But there are inline gauges that can possibly work. But they are spendy.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Unfortunately something like that wouldn't work. The probe on the gauge wouldn't come in contact with the coolant.
    But there are inline gauges that can possibly work. But they are spendy.
    Dave,
    Good point. The temperature would reflect the air temperature in the reservoir tank, not the coolant. It would be a lower temperature than the coolant because of the skin loss thru the tank wall. Still, it might be only a few degrees off considering the surface area of the coolant. But your comment made me wonder if the temperature of the coolant liquid in the reservoir really reflects the coolant system temperature. Is there a continual flow thru the reservoir such that it's temperature represents the actual system coolant temperature?

Ron

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Dave,
    Good point. The temperature would reflect the air temperature in the reservoir tank, not the coolant. It would be a lower temperature than the coolant because of the skin loss thru the tank wall. Still, it might be only a few degrees off considering the surface area of the coolant. But your comment made me wonder if the temperature of the coolant liquid in the reservoir really reflects the coolant system temperature. Is there a continual flow thru the reservoir such that it's temperature represents the actual system coolant temperature?

Ron
    I was also thinking about the thermal dynamics of what's in the overflow tank like steam it could read higher. That's why I think if you want a second gauge a inline would be better. There supposed to be designed for racing purposes. For what benefit it has I don't know maybe just to make money. 🙄

In any case if you use a gauge on a cap when working on the engine or trouble shooting it still won't give fast enough readings to tell if you might be trouble.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 03-15-2021 at 05:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2