FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Barn find today! 9/11/17

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Docbrown77 View Post
    Also just by looking at the pics how much do you think it would take to restore (ball park) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man that's really tough to answer just by looking at pictures... You can ballpark based on what you see with your eyes alone but that won't be close to the real amount until you dig in and find out all the hidden jobs. I can guess just by looking at this car there will be many hidden jobs. That said, the car should be worth more than $4k in parts alone.

There's an old rule of thumb about these cars in that buying a project will usually cost you as much or more in the long run than a clean running/restored example. It's just a matter of wanting to get to know every nut and bolt on the car while at the same time spacing that cost out over X amount of time... OR just go buy the car you want now and avoid the project aspect.
    Jeff

Thanks guys for the input! I feel like it's meant to be he says not one other person has ever stopped to check it out I was drooling the whole time I was looking at it. I have fantasized about finding a Delorean this exact way I have found 2 others one was museum quality that was in a car dealership corvette museum (?)that went bankrupt and it was repoed so sad! And the other was in a garage of a customer of mine a autobody shop owner purchased for his girlfriend who wanted it painted pink!!! So this one is probably the one! IMG_5907.JPG

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Welcome to the forum! That car is a great find for the price! The frame sections pictured look surprisingly good. If the fuel system and auto trans are in good shape and you do the work yourself with some selective cross-referencing of parts, I would estimate that you could get the car road-worthy for $2,000-$3,000. Now that's just stuff like brakes, coolant hoses, tires, misc electrical.

The interior and exterior cosmetics could get pricey really fast. If you are on a tight budget, you might want to try the L-Seat seat covers that others have mentioned on here. They run around $300 for the pair. Stripping the paint will be quite the chore and could reveal some unpleasant surprises. So I would expect the worst and hope for the best in that regard.

Take more pictures of the frame, both front and rear, if you can. Also let us know the vin. Best of luck!
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

here is the vin for the maroon DeLorean I posted last week

My VIN:    16377

Very nice! My first DeLorean was VIN # 1852. Only 20 away!

-Nick Pitello

originally purchased in Denver Colorado gonna do some more digging.....

My VIN:    Early

Since this is an early car, also check the doors! The early ones tend to be a bit weaker and usually deform over time. However, if the torsion bars were never touched, they may be fine. The test is to grab the front and rear of the door while it is fully raised and try to twist it horizontally. After that, check the basic shape of the roof area of the doors. If there is any excess flex or deformation on the roof line, chances are those pricey doors will need to be replaced at one point. For me, it was about $3,000 with a few gallons of blood, sweat, and tears to complete. At a DMCH affiliate, the entire job would be around $8,000.

All in all, while $4,000 is a great price for the car, don't be surprised if it would take $10,000-$20,000 over the years to make it the car of your dreams.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    1710

here is the vin for the maroon DeLorean I posted last week
    originally purchased in Denver Colorado gonna do some more digging.....
    So have you decided if you're going to pull the trigger?
    Louie Golden

In a way I feel like it's my duty to save this Delorean!

My VIN:    3028

Talk is cheap. There is no way that car will not cost you at least 15k in repairs. So be prepared and honest with yourself if you truly want to take this on.
    Barry

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast