FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    This is the purveyor of that part: https://www.deloreanautoparts.com/index.html
    Well if it's running that crap you can be sure the rest of the P.O. repairs are hack jobs as well

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Is it a car that had been running recently or did the PO try a few things to get it running (after a long storage perhaps) and then gave up and sold it on?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    3937

It's also possible the PO rewired the cooling fans to an on/off switch and that switch is inadvertently switched to on at the moment. Look for any non-stock switches around the centre console area or near the steering wheel.

Actually, what might be a good idea, and along the lines of what Josh recommended too, would be to slow down on your initial use of the car until you go through the systems (electrical, but not just the electrical system) and compare what is there to what was supposed to be there. The consensus over time I've seen from other owners is that it's better to get PO wiring creativity returned to how it was supposed to be early on than to let it be as is and deal with new mysteries every other time you drive it. It will save you time and money in the long run IMO.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    It's also possible the PO rewired the cooling fans to an on/off switch and that switch is inadvertently switched to on at the moment. Look for any non-stock switches around the centre console area or near the steering wheel.

Actually, what might be a good idea, and along the lines of what Josh recommended too, would be to slow down on your initial use of the car until you go through the systems (electrical, but not just the electrical system) and compare what is there to what was supposed to be there. The consensus over time I've seen from other owners is that it's better to get PO wiring creativity returned to how it was supposed to be early on than to let it be as is and deal with new mysteries every other time you drive it. It will save you time and money in the long run IMO.
    Congrats on your purchase! In addition to what others have said, I would recommend doing a complete inspection of all critical systems. Remove all 4 wheels and check the brakes, check the cooling hoses, as one failed hose will leave you stranded. Check the belts, and replace the alternator / wp belt, or at the very least carry a spare belt.

With regard to the cooling fans, a popular modification has been to replace one of the dummy switches in the center console with an on/off switch. It's actually a nice feature to be able to turn the cooling fans on manually. Also if the A/C compressor is engaged, the cooling fans will run, so check that as well.

As far as the poor running is concerned, check for vacuum leaks and/or dislodged spark plug wires, It's certainly possible that PO knocked something loose.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

You guys are awesome. I'm a member of a BMW forum, and a Mustang forum and I have never had this many responses so fast. The previous owner is a car flipper. He purchased the car from the original owner to sell. I bought the car from him. His "mechanics" aren't fit to work on a Schwinn, everything the did was crap. I will be looking everything over and replacing what is needed before driving. I will keep everyone updated. I didn't have a chance to mess with it today because I was painting a hood. FYI the vin ends in 6620.

My VIN:    3937

Right on. Yea, we're good like that here in the DeLorean world. You have to be a bit nutty to join voluntarily, but we all did the same, so the more the merrier.

Here's a bundle of diagrams to help you sort out what the wiring should look like:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?40...ing-Schematics

The first post has a pile of easy-to-read diagrams that simplify each sub-system. Towards the end of that first page (6th post or so) is the general lay-out of the fuse and relay area behind the passenger seat. There is also a really nicely done colour wiring diagram for the whole car, which is very thorough, but can be hard to read until you get familiar with it.

There are also links on here to most of the manuals, including the owners manual (glovebox manual), workshop manual, parts manual, concours guide (to help identify non-stock items) and a couple others. Most owners benefit from buying a paper copy of the main binders/manuals and you can get that from your favourite vendor. There is also a glovebox guide PDF file that Rob Grady and others made to help you in a pinch if you breakdown on the side of the road. Mostly has some tricks to diagnose and get yourself limped home safely if needed.

You can definitely feel free to post photos of your car, engine bay, fuse and relay area, suspension or anything else you're wondering about. There is no shortage of us on here that seem to quite enjoy looking at these and offering free advice or assessments. Another strange symptom of the DMC virus. I think I check this website more than my favourite sports team sites all combined, lol.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Ahem, I'm the only awesome one in this thread.

Listen to Jonathan, he knows these cars. Don't listen to Dave T, he just quotes workshop manuals.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Also, depending where you are, get to know your 'localish' dmc vendor...they can also help with some things too
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

I'm in Wisconsin. I don't think there is a local vendor.

My VIN:    10907

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    I'm in Wisconsin. I don't think there is a local vendor.
    What part of Wisconsin? DMC Midwest is in the Chicago area, and if you've got some cash to spare it might be worth trailering it down there and having them take a look. I too bought from a car-flipper (maybe the same one) and getting it inspected before attempting a 1400 mile trip home probably saved me at least one tow truck call.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast