FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    No, you can remove the pieces without removing the windshield. I took my DS out several years ago to fix a warp. If I recall, it just snaps in place using metal clips pushed on the plastic tabs (again it's been awhile) and if I am correct, those tabs are most likely prone to break after 30 years so be gentle.

As far as the previous posts go, let's just say DT has a firm grasp on the obvious.
    DT = Dream Theater?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

I have a glass guy that can remove the glass for me at my shop, no biggie. I think if he breaks it that he would replace it for free. Is there anything else that should be replaced when the glass is out?

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Definately make sure he'll replace it for free..Delorean windsheilds arent cheap...hehe. Bonded glass is always iffy on any car to remove.

As for anything else to fix while its out, I dont know..A pillars are the only thing I know about..but someone else with a longer history might know.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I would suggest against removing the glass for any reason other than replacement. Even for an experienced glass shop, there are certain precautions that must be taken to hold the roof in position during curing. Glass is not always in stock, it is expensive and so is the shipping, especially if it arrives broken. If you have a car with the vinyl under the glass just cut it loose. I also thought when I bought my car I knew what I was doing, having worked on cars for many years. I quickly learned Deloreans have some unusual "quirks" that must be understood to service them properly. Metric hardware but not everywhere, a French, Swedish drivetrain, a Lucas electrical system, a German fuel injection system, the unique doors system, etc. Multiple recalls, many mods and improvements to make the car more reliable, there is a lot to learn. This forum is here to do that, all you have to do is ask. BTW, the glass is VERY susceptible to damage if you strike the edge. As long as it is in the car it is protected. If you happen to have an early car with the windscreen antennae, they are NLA so don't break it! You cannot replace it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you happen to have an early car with the windscreen antennae, they are NLA so don't break it! You cannot replace it.
    DMC-Texas had these reproduced a number of years ago. Or have their reproductions been depleted?

http://http://store.delorean.com/p-9751-windshield-wantenna.aspx
    Louie Golden

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I would suggest against removing the glass for any reason other than replacement. Even for an experienced glass shop, there are certain precautions that must be taken to hold the roof in position during curing. Glass is not always in stock, it is expensive and so is the shipping, especially if it arrives broken. If you have a car with the vinyl under the glass just cut it loose. I also thought when I bought my car I knew what I was doing, having worked on cars for many years. I quickly learned Deloreans have some unusual "quirks" that must be understood to service them properly. Metric hardware but not everywhere, a French, Swedish drivetrain, a Lucas electrical system, a German fuel injection system, the unique doors system, etc. Multiple recalls, many mods and improvements to make the car more reliable, there is a lot to learn. This forum is here to do that, all you have to do is ask. BTW, the glass is VERY susceptible to damage if you strike the edge. As long as it is in the car it is protected. If you happen to have an early car with the windscreen antennae, they are NLA so don't break it! You cannot replace it.
    I was going to mention the radio antenna, then I remembered the title of this thread

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

When I write posts I try to write to the general audience, not just the original poster. I wanted to mention about the antennae because at some point in the future someone may read these posts and not have an '83. It is also possible an '83 could have an early windscreen but I doubt it. They all should have been used by then but if any were left over they certainly would have used it. The '83's were what I call the "Put Together's". Whatever they had left, they used it to put them together! The were assembled with no regard to the running VIN changes.
    David Teitelbaum

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

When I write posts I try to write to the general audience.
    That's a fancy way of saying "I didn't actually read the thread."

Wouldn't it be much more productive to, you know, comment on the specific topic at hand? And not just babble to increase your already enormous post count?
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10644

I've been noticing these posts from opethmike directed toward David T for a while. What's the story here? From the outside looking in, opethmike seems to just be an asshole that doesn't give David T any respect. It seems to be entirely one-sided, although I admit that I haven't read all the posts on this board. I'm really hoping that they're good friends and this just just how they tease each other.

Ha! You guys are entertaining! I'm also gauging interest in getting some stainless or aluminum gas tank cover plates made. If anybody is interested in one, let me know. I'm taking the plate over to my machinist tomorrow. We're still discussing what material to use. I'm not sure if I believe that an aluminum cover reduces gas temperature. I'd like to see some hard evidence of that. Anybody know where I can get the A-pillar trim pieces, besides crappy ones from eBay?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast