FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    It is getting harder and harder to get kits and the cross-references are getting old and they are drying up. Literally. A lot of the stock is NOS and is getting too old to use. Try Special T, he still had them. if your old cylinders are pitted they can be sleeved. Check with White Post.
    Very true. But keep this in mind: Special T does have *some* good parts, but be very careful with the stuff he sells. Some of the parts he sells might actually fit, but they don't actually function as intended. The Brake Master Cylinder being a good example as the DMC part has a specific output bias for our car's weight distribution, and his cross referenced part does not. I replaced my brake hoses with SS Braided lines, and of course had better brakes. However, after that I replaced my old M/C with one of Special T's cross over units meant for an Audi, and the car just didn't feel right after that. The Brake and Clutch M/C units available from vendors right now are, if I'm not mistaken, reproductions built to spec for our cars. There are other parts too, but the Brake M/C is one that I can speak about from personal experience.

However, if things ever got really bad, any good hydraulic shop should be able to rebuild our units no problem. But I think we're probably a long ways away from such dire straights.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Before you buy one thing from Special T, I would advise you to do a search here about his business practices. The guy is a cess pool of bad customer service, berating his customers, and if you ever wondered how he got his name "Special T"...that's a whole new level of low life assholeness that only he could dive too. For the absolute lowest of lows you can't do any worse in the DeLorean community than Special T.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

That "Biasing cylinder" (the wrong one) was also sold by other vendors so Special T wasn't the only one pushing that cross/reffed one that wasn't correct. While there are some customers that had problems with Special T, many others are very happy with him. I think we can all agree he could improve his customer service. He does offer an alternative to the DMC vendors. He is still a valuable asset to the Delorean community. Just be cautious like you should with ANY vendor (and patient).
    David Teitelbaum

That "Biasing cylinder" (the wrong one) was also sold by other vendors so Special T wasn't the only one pushing that cross/reffed one that wasn't correct. While there are some customers that had problems with Special T, many others are very happy with him. I think we can all agree he could improve his customer service. He does offer an alternative to the DMC vendors. He is still a valuable asset to the Delorean community. Just be cautious like you should with ANY vendor (and patient).
    Get a room

Yes, I've heard about him and I actually called him about my fuel pump wiring. He started to get an attitude and I gave it right back. He was cool after that but I'm cautious about ordering from him. Has anyone gotten recovered seats/interior from him?

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    Yes, I've heard about him and I actually called him about my fuel pump wiring. He started to get an attitude and I gave it right back. He was cool after that but I'm cautious about ordering from him. Has anyone gotten recovered seats/interior from him?
    Honestly, forget John Hervey, and don't purchase any part from him expecting quality. If you want some proof, do a search and look for the "easy rider" suspension kits that have had the collar collapse. Hell, I even have his carpet set, and the carpet is actually coming apart in areas due to poor quality materials. So, if you only want to do the job once, call up a different vendor.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

What it comes down to is that some of the parts/services/supplies, that he sells are not what you would expect to be quailitywise. Others are better than what the other vendors sell. He has no NOS so all of his stuff is new stock. For the most part, the parts he just buys and sells are excellent, the stuff he makes or modifies or rebuilds, not so good but the fuel system stuff he does if fine. He offers an alternative to the other vendors ad his prices are competitive.
    David Teitelbaum

What it comes down to is that some of the parts/services/supplies, that he sells are not what you would expect to be quailitywise. Others are better than what the other vendors sell. He has no NOS so all of his stuff is new stock. For the most part, the parts he just buys and sells are excellent, the stuff he makes or modifies or rebuilds, not so good but the fuel system stuff he does if fine. He offers an alternative to the other vendors ad his prices are competitive.
    In other words, eat through a pile of shit and there might be an Oreo cookie in the middle for you to enjoy.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Wow...

Hervey's parts are cross referenced off the shelf, marked up, numbers ground off crap that are manipulated to fit but are WRONG parts. His fuel system stuff is fine? Then why does his marine sender not include a low fuel light function? Why did my fuel boot from him crack into a million pieces after one week of being installed? Its almost as if he just takes an original part, heads to the parts house, goes in the back and sees what the closest match is and then starts to sell that as the "alternative". Competitive pricing- $99+Shipping&Hassle "Identical in fit form and function" fuel pump from him is $49 with free shipping on ebay.

Do yourself a favor and stick with the known good parts that are guaranteed to fit from the usual vendors, NOT Special T/Hervey/DAP - who by the way, could have gotten me killed or my car destroyed worse than it was with his bullshit "close enough" parts like his old ball joints that failed on me while driving or the above mentioned fuel boot that leaked gas all over when I went to fill up.

It's bad enough the DeLorean community has to deal with his parts - imagine the Mercedes or Porsche community buying an "alternative" radiator, fuel system or shocks from him. At least with them, he stuck to only offering fuel distributors.
    Last edited by dn010; 09-29-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Parts that were okay: metal resevoir tank, fans and radiator.
    Not okay: Water Pump assembly, general business practices and service.

I've read this comic book before. Not bashing; I would just do a single order at a time.

WONDAWOMAAAAN.JPG

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast