FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    I've read this comic book before. Not bashing; I would just do a single order at a time.

Attachment 53699
    Good luck with that. My Kafkaesque John Hervy adventure was over a single water pump I purchased from him.

He kept asking me when the core was going to arrive, and I kept e-mailing him the tracking number for the package with the delivery date and how someone at his address signed for it. Not my problem if his one-man operation cannot locate it, I show it as delivered, and I'm not there to help go through his house to find his stuff. I of course am nice as can be while telling him this in so many words that I don't know where the boxes in his house are.

Pump he sends me is defective. Squeals and appears to be leaking from the weep hole. I send it back. To his credit he sends another. But there is a teeny-tiny hiccup...

Pump he sends is lost in transit when the UPS truck carrying it is hit by a train. I cannot make this up. Me and Marty McFly are the only people to have DeLorean parts get destroyed by a train. I ask UPS where the package is and they tell me it's gone. After wrecks like this they just write everything off as a loss and toss stuff. Nothing I can do as I am the recipient, but the sender needs to file the claim with UPS. I e-mail John where my package is, and he says it's in transit. Mmm-hmm. I call him and tell him that it is not in transit, and that it's been lost and how that loss has occurred. We have a fun little go round of "What am I supposed to do?" about my replacement pump. Because of course we have to. The concept of how given that I am neither the driver of the UPS truck, nor the engineer of the train involved with the wreck of the ol' 97 here and thus not responsible for the loss of the package is lost on him at first. I explain that he needs to contact UPS as the shipper and file a claim. That is when I discover that the package may not exactly have been insured when it was shipped. That is a shame, but it is not my fault. He tells me that he still hasn't received my original core. I tell him the tracking number for the core to verify it arrived. He acknowledged he "must have it somewhere". He eventually agrees to send me a replacement pump as an act of "goodwill". This pump does work.

Not having learned my lesson, I did order an oil sender unit a little while later that had to be returned since it was leaking. Again, to his credit he sent out a replacement. But not before asking me if I still owed him a core for a water pump....because he couldn't remember... ಠ_ಠ
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Well at least your got your Oreo cookie

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well at least your got your Oreo cookie

Not to pile on, (no pun intended), but I agree with avoiding this vendor. I could fill up this thread with stories, but here's one on a recent product that was supposed to be one of the "good" or "unique" ones:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?15...-and-improved)

As a value conscious person, I was initially lured by the prices soon after I bought the car. It ended up costing me more in shipping the shoddy products back, and buying the correct one anyway. Not to mention the pleasure of dealing with John when you call him back. I still have a box of his crap that I never bothered to return. I quickly learned to do research/ask questions on parts here and elsewhere before you buy.

Even when you do your research (as in my case with the bleeder) there is a high risk of getting burned.

My advice: just stay away.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Nothing witty here lest it offend

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Good luck with that. My Kafkaesque John Hervy adventure was over a single water pump [1000 word essay]ಠ
    Way to misrepresent my position. I'm the guy rolling my eyes ironman style whenever one of his supporters chime in with 'come on guys, one man shop' stuff. All I'm saying is that if you insist on getting screwed, do it over one part, not ten. But stop screwing yourself over a perceived 10% savings anyway. If you are Mr. Super value you'll do better with Steve Rice's x ref list.

What's the best way to clean the injectors. All of mine are plugged somewhat. I was considering soaking in Berryman's

Quote Originally Posted by SamHill View Post
    Way to misrepresent my position. I'm the guy rolling my eyes ironman style whenever one of his supporters chime in with 'come on guys, one man shop' stuff. All I'm saying is that if you insist on getting screwed, do it over one part, not ten. But stop screwing yourself over a perceived 10% savings anyway. If you are Mr. Super value you'll do better with Steve Rice's x ref list.
    Well then if I failed to comprehend your sarcasm, then I do genuinely apologize. So I am sorry. I also agree that if you're truly trying save money, cross reference lists would be preferable. Because that's pretty much what John's entire business model appears to be: Stock up on cross referenced parts from the lists that might work (*cough* lower ball joins *cough*), and then sell them all at a mark-up.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    As a value conscious person, I was initially lured by the prices soon after I bought the car.
    You know, the prices absolutely were a great way to bring people in, and definitely caught my attention as well. The thing however was that John took the time to advertise everything that he has, and because of that he can drum-up the hype over "performance" parts that he showcases. Seeing his complete catalog of items, along with the ease of navigation is what makes his stuff so attractive. Example: Air Conditioning.

Hervy advertises everything on a single page for his stuff, and really hypes up everything by making the entire page a one-stop-shop for the topic. He's pimping "performance parts" out such as brand new A/C lines, new compressors, even talks about R-134a conversions, and even has all of the little stuff there that you as a DIY'er might miss. This kinda makes it seem like "advice" almost. But again, all you have to do is scroll since everything is on a single page.

DMCH unless you see a specific notice, is only selling NOS stuff. Which when it comes to rubber parts isn't very conducive to positive consumer perception of their products (not accusing anything, just stating it is the public's perception). Plus they are old-fashioned in many respects. If it's something that desperately needs an upgrade (like an auto trans computer), sure, we'll get new stuff. But if the old works, there isn't really an improvement. Such as the staunch use of R-12. This gives much preferability to the image of John's "performance" parts.

The organization of their store utilizing DMC's original Parts Catalog as a template is brilliant. Navigating, however, it is frustrating. The home page doesn't have a link to all of the parts categories. You have to use the drop down at the top. Clicking "Home" simply takes you back to that same landing page where you STILL have to click on the drop downs to get where you're going. God forbid you need to use the "Search" function. It has gotten better, but it's not always accurate, and it's clunky as all hell. First thing is that you have to "click" to activate it. Don't click and start typing. No. Click, wait for the animation to complete, and then you must click a second time inside of the text box to start typing. And the sorting process is a bit slow. Worse yet, their site is in desperate need of some serious housekeeping in areas when it comes to either NLA parts, mislabeled kits, and entirely missing sections that are either perpetually under construction or are for vendors only. Who knows.

P.J. Grady is like Aladdin's Cave: There's lots of cool treasures inside, but you wouldn't know it since you can't see inside because not everything is listed on their site. You can't exactly hold Rob as a proverbial hostage on the phone while you interrogate him on what all they have. Such as how Rob can reuse your A/C hose fittings to sell you a brand new set of barrier hoses, and who knows what other cool toys and products he sells. But unless it comes up in a thread where someone mentions what items he has, or Rob himself comments, we never know what parts he has for sale.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    What's the best way to clean the injectors. All of mine are plugged somewhat. I was considering soaking in Berryman's
    You need one of these:

https://mercedessource.com/store/cis...nozzle-cleaner
    Robert

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post

Is there something like that that doesnt cost $180?
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    Is there something like that that doesnt cost $180?
    If you're handy enough and into fabrication, sure.

http://www.peachparts.com/Wikka/DieselInjectorTester

Just swap out the pressure gauge for a 100psi unit and use a fitting/steel injector line for the K-Jet injectors.
    Robert

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    You can try running a can of Techron in a full tank of fuel. If the injectors aren't too bad that can help. The only way to really clean and test the injectors is to use the injector cleaner/tester shown in the Workshop Manual. Soaking them or using an ultrasonic cleaner can't clean them. You might be able to find a Volvo dealer that has one or you can send them out to your favorite Delorean vendor. Figure on buying a set of injector seals too. The old ones get hard and leak vacuum. You will also need some new copper seals when you reinstall the injectors.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 LastLast