FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I think the A pillars are still available from DMC vendors...same with the fuel tank closing plates.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

They are indeed still available from DMCH but pricey, I replaced mine a few years ago when I replaced my cracked windshield. I too would recommend against removing the windshield if you don't have to, $450 + shipping just to replace the A pillars is quite the expense - I'm surprised a shop would agree to risk that kind of money to remove it for you. As already stated, you will also need a jig to hold the roof at the proper spec when the new windshield is installed. If you don't get it correct, you'll have issues with the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    I think the A pillars are still available from DMC vendors...same with the fuel tank closing plates.
    -----Dan B.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    I've been noticing these posts from opethmike directed toward David T for a while. What's the story here? From the outside looking in, opethmike seems to just be an asshole that doesn't give David T any respect. It seems to be entirely one-sided, although I admit that I haven't read all the posts on this board. I'm really hoping that they're good friends and this just just how they tease each other.
    Well, I certainly am an asshole, I can't argue that. The story is that at numerous DMA events Dave has harassed me in person about my choices for my car, talked down to many members of the club (his behavior is why several younger owners have left the grou) and never apologized and made it clear he doesn't intend to.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    10644

Ah, so a real grudge. Well, it's not a good look for either of you, so why not just stop?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

I'm just glad I finally know what the hell the story is here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    4087

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    Ah, so a real grudge. Well, it's not a good look for either of you, so why not just stop?
    X2

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I actually don't remember any such event. If I disparaged him I apologize for it but I truly don't remember. It would seem he holds a grudge though so it must have been traumatic for him. Too bad and he should try to get over it and move on. It just serves as a distraction to the group.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you happen to have an early car with the windscreen antennae, they are NLA so don't break it! You cannot replace it.
    Just for early cars, but the windshield with antenna is now available. Bought one directly from DMCH and installed it myself about a year ago. Definitely like it better than the low quality power antenna...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Th factory started with the windscreen antennae because the insurance companies were pushing for them because car washes would damage the extending-retracting antennas. DMC quickly found out (like all other car manufacturers did) that unless you were in a big city near the transmitters you could not get a good signal. The problem is the signal is "polarized". That means it is transmitted in the vertical plane and the windscreen antennae is in a horizontal plane. That makes it VERY inefficient. By switching to first the manual vertical and eventually the powered vertical antennae, the radio was able to get a much stronger signal. A strong signal is necessary for the radio because they are very cheap and don't have a high signal-to-noise ratio. Modern radios are much better and can work with weaker signals. Today there are a LOT of options. You can use bluetooth to sync sources, satellite, C/D's, Pandora, all kinds of different ways to get stuff. Not like in 1981 where your choice was AM, FM, or a cassette. The new aftermarket choices are astounding in their capabilities. You can do almost anything. For more info check out Crutchfield.com for ideas. Of course if you are considering upgrading the radio you must also consider better speakers and rewiring the car.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I actually don't remember any such event. If I disparaged him I apologize for it but I truly don't remember. It would seem he holds a grudge though so it must have been traumatic for him. Too bad and he should try to get over it and move on. It just serves as a distraction to the group.
    David,

That is an unfortunate story about the events at DMA for Mike and the other younger owners. It's good that you finally apologized.

As I read Mike's account, this quote came to mind on why many people don't just "get over it".

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast