FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

Just bought an 83, Lots of questions

I just bought an 83 and it has issues. I'm sure I'll have to replace the clutch master and slave, the new fuel pump was installed by idiots, and more issues. I can't wait to get it road worthy.

There is a yellow wire that has been cut from the plug and is missing, nothing is hooked up to the original sending unit, there is a plug on the new sending unit that isn't being used, and a mystery purple wire tapped to whatever is inside the ball of electrical tape. Real quality work.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Not a stock pump unit. Maybe one of the new ones that DMC sells but I doubt it. Is this car carbureted by any chance?

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Upon finding that kind of repair you can expect more "creative" type repairs. Chopping things up to install non-standard parts is going to make fixing it correctly more challenging. If the car has not been driven in a long time expect to rebuild the brake and clutch systems, struts, tires, battery, wiper blades, fluids and filters at least. Pull the fuel pump out, drain whatever is still in there and wipe the tank out with Acetone till it is clean.
    David Teitelbaum

The car is still injected. The previous changed the stainless lines that run to each injector also. It runs like crap. Not sure if its old gas or what. The coolant fans are always running, the heater fan doesn't work, power windows don't work, etc.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic View Post
    The car is still injected. The previous changed the stainless lines that run to each injector also. It runs like crap. Not sure if its old gas or what. The coolant fans are always running, the heater fan doesn't work, power windows don't work, etc.
    If they coolant fans are always running, my guess is that the previous owner hard wired them to run all of the time. That's done by jumpering the connections to the otterstat. The otterstat is a small sensor in the coolant hard pipe on the driver's side of the motor. It has two wires running to it. It turns the fans on when the coolant is hot enough. The one in there likely doesn't work, which is why it would be jumpered.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

The pump is from Deloreanautoparts, they opted out of the sending unit and rigged it up, apparently.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

This is the purveyor of that part: https://www.deloreanautoparts.com/index.html

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Be careful if you run car like this. The fuel lines should have quick disconnects but apear to be on fitting without barbs.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast